Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

2004 Mazda 6. No communication to the module or computer.

Customer Question
2004 Mazda 6. No...

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Mazda2 yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, local Mazda dealer. My son went to start the car and his hand slipped off the ignition key and there was nothing after that. Completely dead. We changed the battery and after hooking up the cables the anti-theft alarm would not turn off and car wouldn't start. The dealer is saying the battery was hooked up backwards and need to swap out every module.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you changed a battery before?

No, it was 4 and half years old but I've changed batteries in other cars before.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

After his hand slipped off the ignition key we had nothing. No lights, nothing. Battery didn't even click.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Mazda
5/31/2018
Mazda Mechanic: Greg, import technician replied 2 months ago
Greg
Greg, import technician

Hi, I'm Greg (Indy-Tech).
Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.
Rgds Greg.

Ok thanks. Any idea about how long?
That would be fine. I am not working on the car. I am waiting to have it towed to my dad's shop. The local Mazda dealer wanted to replace every module because I don't think they really know how to fix the problem.

So you have no comms with the scan tool to ECM.

If this is the case check the Pin 16 on the DLC with ignition ON.

If you have no power here then check all engine room fuses and under dash fuses and its could be due to fitting the battery the wrong way round.

If you did fit the battery wrong check first the main fuses under the hood .

Greg

They sais they checked all fuses and relays and all were fine

Seen this many times where the battery was incorrectly fitted and all that happened was the main fuses and a few sub fuse blow .

In some very rare case the ECU have burnt out due to this issue .

Check ALL fuse in the engine room and under the dash .

This is not a one answer and done i will stay with you until the problem is sorted out .
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 3 to 5 stars at the top of your page, i'm not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with you unless you leave positive feedback.
Before rating 1 to 2 stars please get back to me as i'm here to help you, if i can't or you think i can't i will opt out or you can opt me out so another expert can.
I want to help you with your problem and make you a happy motorist
Rgds Greg

After they "switched" the battery cables they tried starting the car and nothing. Had lights and they said the wipers wouldn't shut off.
I am not fixing the problem myself. Just trying to get an idea of possible fixes

Like i said most likely blown fuses , worst-case scenario, blown ECU.

But as said rare case .

Been called out a few times for the same issue battery installed incorrectly and in most cases the main battery fuse and a few sub fuses blown .

Greg

ok thanks. What do you think an ECU costs?

Take it out and have it repaired will save a fortune .

And no need for reprogramming .

Greg

ok thank you

Please click >>>HERE<<<

Rgds Greg