Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

Been having electrical problems. Door locks will work and…

Customer Question
Been having electrical problems...

Been having electrical problems. Door locks will work and then stop. The power steering shuts off while driving. Otherwise motor sounds normal and betray charge seems normal.

Mechanic's Assistant: When was the fluid last checked? Have you heard any whining noises while turning the wheel?

No Whining and have not checked PS fluid. Would that cause the door locks to intermittently go crazy. It started about two weeks ago with the locks, only happened once. The last two times I drove the car the ps went down so not driving. Will probably take to a mechanic unless you think I should try changing the fluid first

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2008 Mazda 3

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Mazda2 yourself? What have you tried so far?

No. Actually my sons car but I help him with the car. He lives close. I am pretty good with cars, but electrical problems not so comfortable. Have changed door motors before

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Car has been in good working order and had a tune up about a yea ago.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Mazda
5/29/2018
Mazda Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 months ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician

This is almost definitely going to be a faulty alternator. It WILL get, and IS getting progressively worse. What is happening most likely is that the alternator is putting out voltage, and it's more than 12.6 volts, which is battery voltage. That makes it so the battery light never comes on in the instrument panel, but if it's low enough, it's not enough to run all the system components while also charging the battery, and once the voltage begins to drop, then components such as power steering are deactivated to prevent damage. That's important because as voltage drops, a motor needs to draw more amperage to do the same work, and excessive amperage will fry things, because the wires can't handle the flow.

You need to get a digital voltmeter and read the charging system voltage with any electrical items on you can think of, defrost, seat heaters, air conditioning, headlamps, radio, etc. at 2000 rpm with all the loads on you should put out 13.5 volts or more to the battery. If it's low, then you take one lead and put it on the large wire at the alternator, the other at the positive battery post, that number is ***** amount of volts being consumed over the positive battery harness, and if it's more than a couple tenths of a volt then you need to fabricate a new harness and replace it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDdgs5bqzZg

This video is for my youtube channel, which is strictly about VW and Audi, but the concepts are the same, the repair procedure is the same, other than you probably don't have a small main fusebox on the battery. Give it a watch it'll show you what to do.

If I have answered your questions please remember to hit accept next to my name or the site doesn't pay me for my time. if you need any further assistance please let me know.

Answer was rapid and complete. Huge help. Appreciate it Danny. I will check your YouTube site.

Good to hear, you need to be sure to hit accept though.

I want to take a minute to explain how this site works.

We work from our cell phones, shops, homes, etc to help people fix their cars. Recently the site added a membership feature for our customers to get more questions for less money. Unfortunately it has caused confusion with some customers who think that because they've become members or payed a deposit, they don't need to rate or accept our answer.

If you don't accept the answer, we don't even get an hourly wage, and because of the memberships, I have seen my accept percentage fall by almost half.

You're completely covered by both your credit card, and you can put in for a refund if I can't work out a successful solution to your problem. Please remember to hit accept, the site is getting paid but a lot of us experts are not getting our cut of correctly answered questions because of confusion about the site.

You can still come back later and ask follow up questions if necessary on this page even after you hit accept, but if you
leave to fix the vehicle and don't return in time, it will time out, the site keeps your money, and even though I was right, I get nothing.