Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

My check engine light goes on and off and sometimes flash.

Customer Question
My check engine light...

My check engine light goes on and off and sometimes flash. The last time my check engine light was on I brought it to Mazda and they said there are no codes. What wrong with my car?

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

It has done both in the past. Also, I have a CX7

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Mazda2?

CX7 2009

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Mazda2 yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, I not fixing it myself. I brought it to Mazda and they said that no codes were stored for them to read.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes, the transmission numbers go from 2-6 with little gas pedal pushing. Is this normal?

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Mazda
5/26/2018
Mazda Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 2 months ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today. In some cases, I may need more info to assist better. I apologize for any delay.
I try to be here most weekdays and some weekends. If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

A flashing check engine light indicates that the engine computer has detected an engine misfire. It may be that the time the dealer looked at it no codes were set as the fault was not occurring. A misfire can be caused by worn spark plugs or a faulty ignition coil or in some cases a fuel injector acting up. These will all need to be tested to locate the cause and is usually best done when the light is on or flashing.

Now if the light was on or flashing when the dealer looked at it and no codes were seen and with the transmission range/indicator numbers showing like they are this can be a fault with the engine/transmission computer itself. It can develop an internal electrical fault causing all of these issues here.

Unfortunately, the only way to check this really is if the light is flashing or just came on, then a dealer or shop should be able to test to see if there is a computer issue or a fault with a misfire.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above). You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question. I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks, Pete