Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

I have a 1990 Miata. I shorted the main 80A engine relay…

Customer Question
Hello. I have a...

Hello. I have a 1990 Miata. I shorted the main 80A engine relay when taking off the dash. Then replaced the relay, and the car would not start. I installed a start button, and the car starts fine, but the wiper switch on the steering column is not working.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?

200,000 KM. The car starts fine, but not with the key.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Miata yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. I installed a push start button, and now it starts fine

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Mazda
Answered in 1 day by:
3/31/2018
Mazda Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 3 months ago
eric remington

d​o you have a test lite? May I have vehicle id number please

Mazda Mechanic: Cesar Jimenez,
 replied 3 months ago
Cesar Jimenez

hi im cesar jimenez and i will be assisting you today.

how did you short the relay??

When putting back the dash, the 2 live wires that come from the 80A relay, in the engine bay and connect to the back of the wiper switch (where there is a small circuit board), got grounded and part of the white 6 pins connector on the wiper switch melted. Since then, the car would not start with the ignition key, and the wiper switch stoped working. I replaced the 80A relay in the engine bay, but still nothing. I managed to install a push start button. Now the car starts fine but the wiper switch is still not working. Thanks.
Mazda Mechanic: Cesar Jimenez,
 replied 3 months ago

the wires that go to the switch have to be followed to see if they are melted together elsewhere in the harness