Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

Alternator. 2002. I got road side mechanics to help get a…

Customer Question
Second opinion] alternator Mechanic's...

Second opinion] alternator

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mazda?

2002

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I got road side mechanics to help get a fairly used alternator, after installing the alternator, within one day, the alternator got bad again

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery? Do you hear a clicking when you try and start the car?

The battery is ok but the alternator is bad

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Only alternator issue

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Mazda
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/27/2018
Mazda Mechanic: Jake, Auto Mechanic replied 3 months ago
Jake
Jake, Auto Mechanic
What did you do to confirm the new alternator is bad? Did you verify the charge rate under load? Will the vehicle start and run?
we got a good battery and start the engine and while the engine was on, I got the battery removed and the engine stopped. This is how I know the alternator is faulty
I will prefer you chart me this way as i cannot afford that additional 26$
hello?
or is the funds i made earlier covers the call or i need to pay additional $26?
Sorry for the delay, we can chat that’s fine.While that test was good on older vehicles do understand the complexity of electronics in today’s vehicles.You need to literally test the voltage at the battery with the headlights, blower, rear defrost on. It should read 14v. This will tell you if it’s CHARGING properly.
Determine an alternators condition, we have to know if it’s dong it’s intended purpose, charging the battery not running the electronics of the vehicle. Removing the battery is not a good test.
ok. but assuming we charge as you instructed and the reading comes up to 14v, what else could possibly be the be the challenge of the vehicle?
Depends, can you tell me what it’s doing? Is it stalling while driving or what?