Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

It fires only once during cranking. 2005 6. Camshaft sensor,

It fires only once...

It fires only once during cranking

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mazda?

2005 6

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Camshaft sensor, oxygen sensor and egr

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you located all of the vehicle's oxygen sensors? Are the wires leading to and from each intact and in good shape?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that's all I have for now

3/27/2018
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

Any codes stored?

Have you removed a spark plug and verified it will only spark once?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I've removed several to verify. Sparks only once trying to start. It will only spark once again after turning off ignition switch and cranking again. The only codes it shows were the oxygen sensor, Camshaft sensor ,bank one, and the egr valve. All have been replaced.

If you monitor the crank sensor while cranking, is it consistent or dropping off?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
How do you monitor the sensor?

You use a scan tool and look at all the readings it sees from sensors.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
OBD?

Your car is OBD II but yes

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I went ahead and replaced the crank senor, but it had no effect. Desperation, I guess.
Someone said it was the fuel pump,someone else said it was the egr and I asked how would either
affect the fire? My back's in terrible shape, so I can't do a whole lot, but I try. I'm wondering if the car's anti theft
could be the cause for firing only once. If it's malfunctioning.

The reason I was wanting you to monitor the CKP reading is so we can see if the engine is out of time. When out of time the CMP and CKP will not match and you will get only brief spark output. Since you are not able to do that test then we need to do a compression test. It should be right at 190 psi on all cylinders. If not then it has jumped time.

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Hmm, I did a compression test on the first 3 cylinders, since they were easiest to get to. It ranged from 118 to about 131. I thought that good enough.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I did suspect the timing had jumped, because of an occasional backfire.

Yep, that is not enough compression. Time to check timing and hope the valves are fine.

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Cary York
Phone call session started
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I did rate you and I don't have any further questions at this time.

Thanks

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician