Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

I hear a clapping/ratchet sound when the car reaches close…

Hi! I hear a...

Hi! I hear a clapping/ratchet sound when the car reaches close to or over 40ph. It reminds me of the sound of playing cards inserted in bicycle spokes. lol Then after I reached 60mph it stopped. Then started again when driving in a residential area.

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

No warning lights are lit.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mazda?

The headlights were on. Not sure about the battery.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Mazda?

2012 Mazda 6 with 96,000+ miles.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Mazda2 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I just looked under the car to see if anything was sticking out of the tires are from under the car.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes! I don’t have money to bring it anywhere just yet. I hope this doesn’t cost anything. If so, I’ll have to end the chat.

3/26/2018
350matt
350matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

I'd 1st turn the steering to full lock in 1 direction and then check inside the front wheel arches / wells to see if you can spot any loose bits of plastic trim

as this sounds like a engine bay undertray or wheel arch liner may have come loose and is flapping about under the car

If this seems OK then I'd check for worn suspension joints - jack the car up so the wheel is off the ground (you’ll need to do this for all 4 corners) and shake the tyre from top to bottom and from side to side (with someone holding the steering wheel on the front) there should be no play in either direction. Any play in 1 direction will usually require a joint to be replaced, if there’s play in both directions then the wheel bearing may be at fault. If theres play only up and down its the strut top mount - to find this one you have to shake the suspension strut it self up and down with the wheel off the ground - so you may need to remove the wheel to check this one.

Now with the car jacked up on that side with the wheel about 2 inches off the ground use a steel bar under the wheel and lever the wheel up and down slightly, you should be able to look at the end of the axle and see if the suspension arm is moving up and down separately to the axle.If so replace the bush

To feel if there's a worn strut top bearing then lightly hold the spring by hand and have your assistant move the steering from left to right with the wheel on the ground - a worn bearing will feel 'notchy' through the spring. The wheel needs to be on the ground for the test to load up the bearing

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

350matt
350matt, Engineer