Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

I have an 03 Mazda 6, and I have two problems. I’m not sure…

Hi. I have an...

Hi. I have an 03 Mazda 6, and I have two problems. I’m not sure which one to attack first. The first one is that my taillights are not working. I changed the bulbs and checked to see that the relay was work (it is) I’m not sure what to check next.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the bulbs? Have you checked the connection?

I changed the bulbs. And what connections do you mean?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Mazda2 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Mazda 6

3/26/2018
david craig
david craig, ASE Certified Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you. Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you

license plate light not working either?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
O umm I never checked those. They’re not working ether.

ok, standby

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
sir.

turn signals work back there?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
That’s part of my second problem but the rear ones do illuminate yes.

so the front ones dont?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
No. I’m having an issue there as well. When I activate my turn signals it flashes the hazards and activates the wipers. I did get it to stop twice, but for only a moment
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
when I hit the hazards it activates the wipers as well

oh boy.... fun fun.... please standby

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Yeah I know lol. I’m waiting patiently.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
For which issue?

both. the multifunction switches turn on the lights and wipers. there are separate contacts in each switch for tail lights, turn signals etc...for the lever that turns on the lights and if the wiring is shorted behind the steering wheel with the wiring for the lever that controls the wipers, then that is why these things are happening. I would pull the steering wheel and inspect the wiring for both levers

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Ok I’ll check these and let you know what I see.

ok, please do, thanks

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Ok so I’ve removed both multi-function switchs and I do not see any thing that looks burn or faulty. And as far as the connectors and wires. Both look good, how far back should I trace the wiring?

just in the immediate area.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Well the reason I’m asking is because there’s only 1/2” to 1” of wiring exposed.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
The rest is under the factory wrapping

i would imagine its ok under the wrapping. so maybe we should check the light lever for proper operation. let me see if i can find a test

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Ok
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Let me just say. I don’t know what time it is where you are. But it’s 10:45 here. Thank you for helping me so late.

its the same time here. here is the test. let me know how it goes

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Ok assuming I’m doing this right. I’m not getting continuity in multiple places.

ok then I would replace that switch

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I know there’s one at the junk yard close to me. I know it’s not the best option, but I’ve already put 7-800 dollars in parts into this car and I’ve only had it 11 days. If it fixes it I’ll save up for a new one down the road. The fun part is finding the time. I usually work a lot of hours during the day.

hey if a junkyard one works then no reason to save up for a new one

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I know. A quarter of my last car is from the yard. I just wasn’t sure how you’d react so I figured I’d cover my ass.

Hey, don't worry about what anyone else thinks, it's your car.

Please note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 3 or more stars will be greatly appreciated and will allow any follow-up questions you may have. we can chat back and forth many times until your issue is taken care of.
Thank you for rating my assistance and for using Just Answer.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
You have been very helpful. Hopefully this will resolve the issues. I do have one more question though. The guy I bought this car off of had a cheap cold air intake on it. Do you have a diagram of the OEM air box with the vacuum connections and senors. I don’t know what it’s supposed to look like so I don’t know if he’s got anything jacked up. O and there’s more but I’ll leave it alone for tonight.

standby

Please note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 3 or more stars will be greatly appreciated and will allow any follow up questions you may have. we can chat back and forth many times until your issue is taken care of.

david craig
david craig, ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
THAnk you
Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Figured out the engine code. OCV was busted in two. They guy I bought it off of must have hit it on some thing when they swapped out the motor.

oh wow, very good. im glad you found that

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Yeah me too, it’s not the cheapest repair, but at least it’s a simple one. I noticed it was bent to on side before I even pulled the valve cover off. And hey, I never got a response from another mechanic.
Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Hey I added a comment (question) to the other tread. Are you still a part of that? I haven’t received any help from another tech.

what other thread?

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
The other question I have. The one where you referred me to another tech. Regarding the electrical issue.

ill have to look that up

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Ok well I just ask you here. Could there possibly be a common ground. Now the hazards are intermittently activating the engine cooling fan.

im really busy and wont be able to look into this until tonight

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
That’s fine. I’m not near the car anyways. And I won’t have the engine parts till tomorrow. Whenever you are able I would appreciate it. And just to let you know, I saw something in a forum yesterday with someone having a similar problem. One response side that it was usually the ground under the relay box. But I’m not sure exactly where this person is referring to. I don’t know if that will help.

Ill check it out

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Thank you

you bet

david craig
david craig
david craig, ASE Certified Technician