Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

I'm having a draw of about 5A that's intermittent every 2…

Customer Question
I'm having a draw...

I'm having a draw of about 5A that's intermittent every 2 min for about a 1 min duration.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your MINI?

Everything on it is standard. You men Mazda? It's a 2010 Tribute.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?

I've tried pulling fuses while having an amp meter in series. It's a Mazda Tribute. I've had the battery an alternator tested they were OK

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nothing I can think of

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Mazda
3/25/2018
Mazda Mechanic: HDGENE, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, if you have pulled all the fuses in the under hood fuse panel, that should cause the amperage to drop when you pull the right fuse. Does it have any aftermarket add on accessoires like an alarm or something else that is hard wired?

Mazda Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

You have a component that is drawing current when it should be at rest. With it acting the way you describe it is most likely a module that is waking up and in turn waking up other modules on the communication bus network.

What needs to be done is use an ammeter to monitor the current draw and make sure the problem is present. Then each fuse needs to be removed one at a time to see when the problem stops, which may take quite a while if the problem is intermittent. When you find the fuse that stops the draw then components on that circuit need to be looked at. Any modules would need to be disconnected one at a time to see when the problem stops.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.