Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

My sister is traveling and the charging system malfunction…

Customer Question
My sister is traveling...

My sister is traveling and the charging system malfunction light came on, what’s the farthest she can drive with this light on? She is currently pulled over.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?

What does that mean?

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll pass this info along to the Mazda Mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. What is the model/year of your Mazda?

CX5, 2016 Grand Touring

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Touring yourself? What have you tried so far?

She has tried nothing so far...she doesn’t know what to do

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Basically wants to know how far she can get, she’s hoping to get close to family to get this fixed

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Mazda
3/25/2018
Mazda Mechanic: K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, sorry to hear she's in this situation. With all accessories off she should be able to drive for 20-30 minutes at speeds of 45-55 mph. If going 65-70 it will be more around 15-25 minutes.

My goal is to provide 5 star service. Rating/accepting does not cost extra and ensures I'm credited for my time and knowledge. It also does not close your question if you have a follow up concerning this. Thank you for using Just Answer!

then 80 miles is out of question? Would an advanced auto parts be able to assist with this? It’s a Sunday and dealerships are closed
No thanks, type

Definitely not possible to travel that far. They should be able to help her check the fuses for the charging system and alternator output. It's possible it's still charging but the light is on due to a blown fuse or problem with the instrument cluster. It would be worth stopping by and having them look at it and test output.

Thank you!

It may also be a good idea if she has roadside assistance on her auto insurance to see how far they'll tow for free and try to drive as far as possible then get towed from there.

You're welcome, it's been my pleasure to assist you. I hope things work out well for her.