Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

I replaced my clutch and now there is a deep rattle when it…

I replaced my clutch...

I replaced my clutch and now there is a deep rattle when it idles. The clutch pedal is very soft. any ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the clutch? Has it been slipping or sticking?

150k

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mazda?

Oh on the clutch..

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Mazda?

2000

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. I have replaced the clutch disks. I went to Auto Zone and got a clutch kit. I would really rather not have to open that up again. lol

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not really.

3/24/2018
HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, what kind of mazda is this, what engine size? Does the noise go away or change when depressing the clutch pedal?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
1.6L 5speed. no it continues weather or not the pedal is pressed.

Ok and the noise wasnt there before the repair? What kind of 200 mazda is this?? Is it a hydraulic clutch ? You said it has a soft pedal, does it move and drive properly?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
This problem is new. I purchased a Clutch disk set from Auto Zone and replaced the disks. Now the Clutch pedal moves but just pushes in and goes out. The Stick will also not move.

Ok so it sounds like the clutch is not disengaging properly. it would help if you told me what kind of 2000 mazda this is, but if it wasnt there prior to the repair then it has to do with the clutch, whether it is the correct clutch parts or if the clutch disc was installed backwards would cause these issues.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Backwards?

Yes the clutch disc is only meant ot be installed one way, it is marked with a flywheel side, if the clutch disc is installed backwards it can cause a soft pedal and issues like this. Sounds like you need to pull the transmission back out and inspect for any damage done to the transmission or flywheel.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I should be able to just .. ugh .. reopen the transmission .. and turn the flywheel around. what kind of damage should I be looking for?

When you install a clutch disc backwards you can bend the clutch disc and possibly do damage to the clutch pressure plate. That would account for the noise as well as the clutch not disengaging and allowing the shifter to move. Any damage should be easy to see. You may need to replace the clutch a second time.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
for future knowledge how do I know which way to face the plate?

The clutch is marked flywheel side and the package should explain it as well. Depending on the aftermarket clutch supplier it says flywheel side on it typically.

HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Certified Technician

Thank you.

HDGENE
HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Certified Technician