Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

Revs dropping when at lights with brakes pessed. Just bought…

Customer Question
Revs dropping when at...

Revs dropping when at lights with brakes pessed

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?

Just bought the car brake fluid level is ok, not sure when it was last changed

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mazda?

2005 sp23 also when i turn ac on revs are normal

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Want to try fix it myself but not sure where to start

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Car vibrating when revs drop

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Mazda
3/22/2018
Mazda Mechanic: david craig, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
david craig
david craig, ASE Certified Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you. Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you

check for a vacuum leak at the brake booster vacuum hose

How would i check this

with the engine running, spray carb cleaner at the connection where the vacuum hose goes on to the booster and to the intake. if the engine stumbles or revs, you have a vacuum leak

Just did that and no difference in revs
Also revs go normal when ac is turned on.

ok, well I have no information on Australian vehicles but that test is universal so I will defer to the others to chime in.

Ok so there is is nothing else you can recommend trying while i wait for a response?
Mazda Mechanic: Greg, import technician replied 3 months ago
Greg
Greg, import technician

Hi New expert here .

Do you have any warning lights ON when the engine is running .

With A/C On then no problem, just with A/C off .

How many miles and when was the last service done and which service if you know.

Greg

No waring lights when engine running or when ac is on but when ac is on revs do not drop car has 63000 klms last sevice was just done 1 week ago, not sure which service though.
As i just bought the car the other day.

Okay with all system switched off and just engine running switch on the A/C to full .

Does the RPM drop around 100 rpm then come back to idle speed +/-50 rpm.

Greg

Am at work at the moment, cant test till after work. the revs only drop when in drive with brake applied but doesnt happen when ac is running. Normal rev at idle is around 700- to 750 rpms it gradually drops to around 600rpms when in drive with brake applied and i can hear a vibration whith the rough idle.

Okay good you have a throttle body issue .

You need to start with servicing the throttle body, this is where you will need to remove and clean out the throttle body .

Before starting to service the throttle body disconnect the battery .

when done reconnect and do a good test drive ,highway and city stop and go .

For further assistance with this issue please get back to me with the reply box below .
This is not a one answer and done i will stay with you until the problem is sorted out .
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 3 to 5 stars at the top of your page, i'm not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with you unless you leave positive feedback.
Before rating 1 to 2 stars please get back to me as i'm here to help you, if i can't or you think i can't i will opt out or you can opt me out so another expert can.
I want to help you with your problem and make you a happy motorist
Rgds Greg

Thanks Greg will clean out throttle body over the weekend and get back to you, thanks for your advice. Appreciate it.
Can i clean throttle body with carbie cleaner?

Yes carb cleaner is the same as throttle cleaner .

Greg

Just be careful of the plastic parts .

Use an old tooth brush to clean inside then rise with carb cleaner .

If the throttle flap and bore is black and hard use brake cleaner on the black ares and soak for an hr then scrub with tooth brush ,rise with carb cleaner .

Greg