Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

The cabin smells like gas. I’m looking into others with the…

Customer Question
The cabin smells like...

The cabin smells like gas

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

I’m looking into others with the same problems

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mazda?

Is it safe to drive

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Mazda?

2007 Mazda cx7

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your CX-7 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing yet

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Having someone look at it and have the cabin tested for carbon monoxide

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mazda
3/21/2018
Mazda Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 4 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

A fuel odor inside the vehicle can be dangerous in more ways than just the odor alone. If you need to drive I recommend doing so with at least 2 windows open. Next, you need to figure out is it fuel or exhaust you are smelling. If it is exhaust then look around all exhaust components at the gaskets, seals, joints, welds, crimps for any sign of black soot indicating a leak. If it is fuel, that is harder to find since it evaporates very quickly. Look around the fuel line connections and fuel injectors for wetness or a sign of dust accumulation.

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

Mazda Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 3 months ago

Hello, Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my response. If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. It’s my goal to deliver excellent service, so if I've done that, please don't forget to give me a 5-star rating.You can still reply. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris

It’s not a gas hog, I was told the cabin filter needs to be changed

Your cabin air filter may need to be removed, though that filter is for dirt and pollen. It will not remove fuel odors nor is it to blame for a fuel odor. Replacing the filter will not resolve your issue.