Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

The gas gauge in my 2010 Mazda 3 quit working. The problem…

Customer Question
The gas gauge in...

The gas gauge in my 2010 Mazda 3 quit working. The problem was diagnosed by a non-Mazda shop as the fuel gauge sending unit so the entire fuel pump assembly was replaced. The gauge still did not work, so I took it to Mazda - they said it was the fuel gauge sending unit and that the new fuel pump assembly must have been bad.. I took it back to the original shop and they attached a new pump assembly and still could not get the gauge to work. Mazda shop said to try using a Mazda part instead of the Spectra after market part. I am waiting to hear back from Mazda shop as to exactly how they determined that the fuel pump assembly was the problem and how they got the gauge to work (as was reported to me).

Mechanic's Assistant: Has your car been stalling?

No.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Mazda2 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am not fixing it myself. The gas gauge in my 2010 Mazda 3 quit working. The problem was diagnosed by a non-Mazda shop as the fuel gauge sending unit so the entire fuel pump assembly was replaced. The gauge still did not work, so I took it to Mazda - they said it was the fuel gauge sending unit and that the new fuel pump assembly must have been bad.. I took it back to the original shop and they attached a new pump assembly and still could not get the gauge to work. Mazda shop said to try using a Mazda part instead of the Spectra after market part. I am waiting to hear back from Mazda shop as to exactly how they determined that the fuel pump assembly was the problem and how they got the gauge to work (as was reported to me).

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Mazda
3/19/2018
Mazda Mechanic: EricFromCT, Auto Technician replied 1 month ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Auto Technician

Hi. Welcome to chat! My name is ***** ***** I am currently a factory dealer auto mechanic. I will attempt to assist you with your concern today.

Its fairly simple for a shop to tell if the sending unit is the problem or the wiring or the gauge in the cluster. Using a gauge tester, you connect it to wires at the fuel pump that go up to the fuel gauge. You then can dial in a fuel tank level and the gauge will read accordingly. If it does then the wiring and gauge are ok. If not the sending unit in the tank is the problem.

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

1. I am a FACTORY DEALER auto mechanic and also answer questions here on Just Answer.

2. When you are pleased or happy with my assistance or efforts to help you, at the top of the screen please rate me by clicking on the stars.

3. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to ask follow up questions.

Thank you for using Just Answer and allowing my to assist you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I believe Mazda shop tested as you described but I will need to confirm. I think non-Mazda shop wants to try a Mazda pump to rule out an issue with Spectra pumps.

Ok. Hopefully the Mazda pump will fix it, but usually aftermarket fuel pumps and senders work well.

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

If you get more info after talking to Mazda dealer or other shop, just let me know. Also note that even after rating this chat session with the stars above you can bookmark this page and come back to follow up on this question, and we can continue.

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

Have you got your fuel pump changed out yet?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Waiting on the part. Should get it replaced in the bext day ot two.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
8220;next day or two”

Ok. Let me know the outcome. I would like to continue to get this fixed. Please also note that you can rate this chat session with the stars above. Then feel free to bookmark this page and come back so we can continue if needed when your pump comes in. Thanks.

EricFromCT
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Auto Technician