Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

I have a 97 mazda protege and i have a coolant leak behind a…

Customer Question
I have a 97...

I have a 97 mazda protege and i have a coolant leak behind a pulley which i believe is the water pump i have the pulley off where the leak is orginating from but now i dont see how the pump comes off

Mechanic's Assistant: What part of the car is the leak coming from? And are you sure it's water?

Yes ive flushed all the coolant and straight water is coming out

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Protege yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes i am i bought the car a few days ago and just started digging into it i found where its leaking and loosened the belts off the pulleys after i loosened the one pulley in front of where the leak is coming from i can send pictures if u like

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that i can really think of besides if there is anything i need to know

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mazda
3/19/2018
Mazda Mechanic: 350matt, Engineer replied 4 months ago
350matt
350matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

that certainly sounds like the water pump and you can post up an image with the paper clip button.

and the pulley doesn't come off as its pressed on , there's a small bleed hole on the body of the pump thats there to allow air to escape when the pump shaft seal is pressed in. it also provides a tell -tale leak if the seal has failed

so if you have water dribbling out of the this little hole the next step is to replace the whole pump with a new item

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Mazda Mechanic: 350matt, Engineer replied 3 months ago

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt