Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

I have a 2011 Mazda 6 and my key just stopped working in the…

Customer Question
I have a 2011...

I have a 2011 Mazda 6 and my key just stopped working in the ignition to start the car. It’s A switchblade formatted key and the battery is dead. When the key is placed in the ignition, it turns all the way but then the red car with the lock blinks and all other lights come on;( Help! That’s the only key I have

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

Battery to the key? Tested today and yes it’s dead. Never changed one before

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Mazda2 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Mazda6

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No ma’am

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Mazda
3/19/2018
Mazda Mechanic: Tim Mohr, ase master replied 1 month ago
Tim Mohr, ase master

Hi, my name is ***** ***** the battery is dead in the fob, the computer will not allow it to start, have you replaced the battery yet?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What’s a fob

yes, they call that the key fob, and the battery is easy to replace, it take a TR1620 battery, are you planning on doing this your self?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am headed to the dealership for them to replace the battery, but the battery has been dead forOver a year and a half. And the key still work in the ignition

it may have had enough power for the key signal, but not enough to operate the keyless entry,Tim

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m not trying to use the keyless entry I’m trying to use the key in the ignition
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is the battery work for the ignition as well

yes

yes, that light means the computer is not seeing the signal from the key, you will need to replace the battery, and have the key reprogrammed into the computer,Tim

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I see programming How To videos online. One shows a man turning the Ingnition 3 times then closing and opening the drivers door... is this accurate? I have spares I need to program once the metal key part is cut

No, that is only for the keyless entry portion of it, to program the key code, you need a special scanner, you cant do it yourself,Tim

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is there any way around paying a dealership hundreds of dollars

yes, you can use a mobile locksmith to do this, they are alot cheaper and saves a tow bill to the dealer, our local locksmith charges 70 dollars to come out and program them, the dealer gets over 200 and you have to tow it to them,Tim

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok so just to be clear....
All I need it so replace the battery on the fobAnd then the spare keys, once cut, will need to be programmed by a mobile locksmith?

Yes, and the old key will be reprogrammed at the same time

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Went to a mobile locksmith. He said he has to pay $75 just for the replacement keys. I thought I could just get the metal key part cut and put in place of the switch blade part, then program. This locksmith said that the replacement part HAS the ignition chip inside.

Yes, the keys are about 75 dollars for them,and then both have to be programmed,Tim

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It does not work.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The key that had a new battery was already programmed for my car

did they try to program the old key????

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
They said it’s already programmed
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Does it need to be reprogrammed to the same car? It’s got the same chip in it...
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I took the unit apart and it does not have a transponder chip
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am having to get the car towed to the key location where they have ordered a new switch blade part for the remote that has the chip installed in it. They will then cut the metal of this new blade and attach it to the previous remote that I had gotten from the dealership.
Tim Mohr, ase master