Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

I have a 2003 protege it almost has 260000 km on it and a…

Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a 2003 protege it almost has 260000 km on it and a couple of days ago as I was driving the car sort of stalled for a split second and the check engine light came on. Ever since then I noticed it vibrates when I accelerate it and it doesn't speed up as fast as it used to. It also started squeaking when I reverse. No idea what's going on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

It stayed on then started blinking for a bit and now it just stays on

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Protege yourself? What have you tried so far?

No I don't know much about cars so I always took it to a mechanic. It had it's spark plugs changed in the late summer, and the top part of the strut was replaced because the car banged when I drove over ridges and bumps. This was done in the fall. This Sat I just changed the oil as I hadn't done it for almost 15000 km

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Probably not as I don't know much about cars. Oh the exhaust pipe severed 2 years ago and that was replaced.

3/19/2018
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you ,I will Try to Help you with This Issue
In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sunday through Friday from around 5 am to 9 pm Eastern time.Zone If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.
If you see a call request on your screen ,That is an automated feature the web site offers all customers.

What needs done is to have it scanned by your mechanic ,by hooking you to your vehicle data port and retrieve the fault codes that caused that check engine light and based on that fault ,we can pull up a pin point troubleshoot and be accurate .

Now with that said , when you said the check engine light blinking or blinking then stopped ,that tells me we have multiple random misfire and the engine will have have reduced power and hard to accelerate since we are running on one or more less cylinders cause that misfire .

this could be caused by a fuel injector, ignition coil ,spark plugs ( most likley not since replaced like u mentioned ) , mass air flow sensor , fuel pressure .low compression , internal valve bent ,so further testing is needed

now from my experience , you might need a major tune up ,at this time( coils ,fuel filter etc ) ,not just spark plugs or we stuck injectors or power to it is not coming from ecm ,that is in extreme cases

now .if you change oil regularly, no prior engine issue most like major tune up ,but having scanned first step.

now if that light started to blinking again when driving ,do not keep driving , since a flashing check engine light will cause more damage if u keep driving to exhausts system and engine ,the steady check engine is ok to drive to take to shop

If more help is needed, Please use the reply Tab to continue our conversation.

, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click here or above).

You can Rate at Any Time and we Can Continue to work on your question as This Will Not Close out your Question.

I work on delivering the best answer and help but in some cases,

It can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Chad Farhat
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello, thank you for your information.

Thank you for the Rating :)

If you need my assistance in the future, Start your Question with (FOR CHAD FARHAT ONLY) or Go to my profile page

You can also add me as Favorite expert for any future questions

http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-chadfarhat/?rpt=3800

Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat