Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

I have a 2002 Protege 5 with 2 engine codes. P0303 and

Customer Question
I have a 2002...

I have a 2002 Protege 5 with 2 engine codes

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?

P0303 and p0660

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Protege yourself? What have you tried so far?

I may try fixing it myself if its not too complicated

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It sounds like an exhaust leak and feels like its running on 3 cylinders

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mazda
3/18/2018
Mazda Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 4 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

Have you had the vehicle tuned up recently?

the first code you have is just a random misfire code caused by the second code which is a common issue with your engine, the manufacturer knows about this and wouldn't hurt to contact a dealer on any updated parts available for this. It is an intake issue with the runners and valving . I have found a sight that fully explains this faster then I can type that explains in full detail what your issue is and what to do.

I hope this explains your problem and gives you direction to fixing it , but if you need further help let me know.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. In the process of helping you I will use sources from all different places that I feel fit and to the point that will speed up my help for you. This may include links, videos, shop notes and procedures as well as my own personal experience of over 40 yrs in the trade.

Thanks,
Do you know where the Intake Manifold Tuning Valve is on the Mazda 2.0 engine from 2002 and how hard it is to get to?
Is it most likely broken or just dirty and stuck or missing an eletrical connection somehow?

hope this helps and good luck . Personally I would still check if an updated manifold assembly is available , you don't want things braking up and getting into the head or engine.