Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

After being stopped at a sign, I went to accelerate and my…

After being stopped at...

After being stopped at a sign, I went to accelerate and my engine reved, but my car did not move. I let off the gas, and then tried to accelerate again, and this time it did start to move forward. However, it felt the whole time like it was very touchy, a little jerky, and I quickly parked it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

No, it's the same.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

Mazda 3, 2012

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Mazda2 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven't tried anything yet. My fear is that it is the transmission.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, don't think so

3/17/2018
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Ok, the symptoms are due to a transmission fault - possible causes include but not limited to low/burnt transmission fluid, shift solenoid, transmission control module, fluid pump failure, servo piston failure, valve body failure

I need to know if it has the 2L or 2.5L engine so I can pull the schematics for it

It's a 2L

HI,

Ok, the first step is to check the transmission fluid level. This is a bit of a pain on this one. It has a dipstick but has a bolt holding it in. you have to warm up the engine for about 10 minutes, shift between all the gears and then with it on level ground check fluid level with engine idling in park - see attached

IF fluid is low, use Mazda Genuine ATF FZ ONLY

IF fluid is burnt smelling or dark brown or black, there is internal damage to transmission

If fluid level is ok, then there is an issue with either solenoid inside the transmission, transmission control module, valve body, fluid pump and will need to be towed to a shop to be diagnosed

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating
Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager