Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

Have an 08 Mazda 3 brakes are spongy new rotors and pads and…

Customer Question
Have an 08 Mazda 3...
Have an 08 Mazda 3 brakes are spongy new rotors and pads and brakes bled new selenoids and still spongy
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mazda
3/15/2018
Mazda Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

Good morning,

We see a lot of bad master cylinders on these cars causing spongy brakes. If you pump the pedal a couple of times does the pedal stiffen up at all?

With the car running or off
Not with the car off it gets spongy
Mazda Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 4 months ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Ok, you state you installed new rotors, pads and solenoids. What solenoids are you referring to - ABS hydraulic pump solenoids, or do you mean the brake calipers?

Do you have a good pedal with engine off, but spongy with engine on?

It’s spogy either way

Ok, and what solenoids did you replace?

Vaccum selenoids their side by side

HI,

Ok, at this point you need to do a brake hose clamp test

Use either brake hose clamps or vise grips and lightly clamp each brake hose at the 4 wheels about 1/2 up the rubber brake hose.

Now test the brake pedal. It should be firm. If not, you have either air in the lines or faulty master cylinder.

If good, then starting at rear, remove one clamp at a time and retest pedal. At whichever wheel you remove a clamp and the brake pedal becomes spongy, that is your problem area - either faulty caliper, brake pads or rotor cocked at an angle, or loop in brake hose.

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating
Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

The brakes felt spongy when we took the clamps off the front hoses

HI,

Ok, were the front calipers replaced?

Look at the front calipers and tell me if the bleeder screws are above or below the brake hose to caliper connection

They are above. Calipers seem fine.

HI,

Ok, check to make sure rotors are sitting flush on the hub faces and no rust buildup on the hubs causing the rotors to not seat flushly, check pads to make sure they are not cocked.

If ok, try the following in case there is any air in the abs unit - with wheels off the ground, crank engine and put in gear and accelerate so speedometer shows around 20 mph, then repeatedly slam on the brakes. Repeat 10 times. Now put in park and with engine idling, rebleed brakes at the wheels. This procedures ensures the abs motor is activating and forcing fluid thru the abs hydraulic unit

Okay done for the day can we pick this up tomorrow?

that will be fine. I am here all day tomorrow

We tried that still didn’t work
Do you do phone calls?

HI,

Phone service is out right now for me due to severe snowstorm here.

I am not sure what else the problem might be. I am going to open up this to other experts to get their take

Ok