Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

2010 Tribute. When I turn the ignition key the first time…

Customer Question
2010 Tribute. When...

2010 Tribute. When I turn the ignition key the first time nothing happens. I turn the key the second time and it starts fine. Problem getting worse.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?

It's in park, with my foot on the brake. No wheel lock.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tribute yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven't tried anything. I can do basic car mechanics like replacing solenoid or starter.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mazda
3/13/2018
Mazda Mechanic: K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, which engine does it have? When you turn the key the first time is there a single click? has it done it to where you've had to turn it to start more than once before it starts turning over?

2.0 L 4 cylinder. I can't hear a click when I turn the key the first time.

Thanks, there's a small brown and green wire at the starter, check to see if there's 12 volts at it when you do the first turn. IF there is it's the starter solenoid going bad so you'll need to replace the starter. If not replace the starter relay in the battery junction box under the hood. I'll post starter replacement info below. IF you run into any issues just reply back.

My goal is to provide 5 star service. Rating/accepting does not cost extra and ensures I'm credited for my time and knowledge. It also does not close your question if you have a follow up concerning this. Thank you for using Just Answer!

Hello, I was just wanting to follow up and see how things went.