Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

I have a 1991 b2600i, manual transmission. For the last

I have a 1991...

I have a 1991 b2600i, manual transmission. For the last couple of weeks, it has been really hard to shift into 1st or reverse from a complete stop. Shifting into the other gears isn't quite as smooth as normal, but not difficult at all.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?

No, the clutch hasn't been slipping. Shifting is only difficult when going into 1st or reverse from a complete stop. If I'm rolling ever slow slightly, it is easier to shift into 1st.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your B2600i yourself? What have you tried so far?

The clutch fluid was low, so filled that up. No improvement. Next, the transmission fluid was pretty bad, so replaced that today. Drove it around for about 10 miles. No noticeable improvement.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

3/13/2018
HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, does the transmission shift easy when its not running or is it difficult? does the clutch grab at the same pedal height? No fluid leaks from the transmision bellhousing?

Give me a minute, I'll try with it not running. No visible fluid leaks.

Ok

It shifts just fine when it's not running.

Ok, as far as reverse goes, its not unusual to have a little bit of difficulty putting it into reverse gear without putting it int a forward gear first. Reverse gear has no syncronizer to slow down the transmission for it to shift easily. SInce the clutch master cylinder fluid level was low but no fluid leak, then it sounds like the clutch is not completely disengaging the transmission due to clutch wear. The transmisison should come out and inspect the clutch for wear and the pilot bearing in the back of the flywheel for having issues. Check the hydraulic throwout bearing for leaks. If this all looks ok, then you may have some wear in the 1-2 shift syncronizer. But it sounds like it is a clutch issue.

If you need more help or information please let me know. If I was helpful, please use the 5 stars above to leave a positive rating.

Ok, thanks.

You are welcome! Please be sure to rate the question so I get credit for helping you. Let me know if you need more help with this concern.

HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Certified Technician

Thank you!