Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

My b2300 drives well and then it stalls, dies, sputters.

Customer Question
My b2300 drives well...

My b2300 drives well and then it stalls, dies, sputters. After it sits for a while it seems fine again. Someone suggested a clogged catalytic converter. Any suggestions? Thanks

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?

Check engine light has been on since I bought it 2 years ago. It stalls both driving and idling. Seems quite random. Letting it sit a bit (cooling down?). Maybe 5 minutes seems to help for a while

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your B2300?

95

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your B2300 yourself? What have you tried so far?

It just started this afternoon on the highway. Haven’t done anything. Limped to a friends house but need to drive 200 miles to get home.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

How does this work? What is the fee? Thanks

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Mazda
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/13/2018
Mazda Mechanic: HDGENE, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, if it was a clogged convertor, it would have a lack of power on accel. I would think you may have an issue with a weak fuel pump. Check fuel pressure with a gauge, it should have 30 psi and hold steady when turning the key to on and the engine off. The fuel filter could be clogged an causing a lack of fuel pressure. A vacuum leak can also cause a stalling issue. Since the check engine light is on, the first thing to do is have it checked for diagnostic trouble codes. Both a Key On Engine Off and Key on Engine running test. If you dont have a scan tool you can jump the self test connector and count the number of times the check engine light flashes to see what codes are stored.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It also seems at times to have a lack of power.

It could all be related to a fuel pump, the clogged convertor is a possibility but it doesnt sound like it from your description. If you want to rule out the clogged exhaust system just loosen the header pipe at the manifold to create and exhaust leak and operate the vehicle. Or use an exhaust back pressure tool to measure the exhaust pressure.

If you need more help or information please let me know. If I was helpful, please use the 5 stars above to leave a positive rating.

Do you need more help with this concern?

HDGENE
HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Certified Technician