Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

RX8, won't cold idle. Fires ok but doesn't come up to high…

Customer Question
RX8, won't cold idle...

RX8, won't cold idle. Fires ok but doesn't come up to high idle, it struggles around 1000rpm for a second or so and then dies.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?

211,000kms, compression known to be low. It's a Mazada RX8, and has a Rensis rotary engine.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your RX-8?

2004

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RX-8 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yeah. The car's tired for sure, I'm a local racer and enjoy fixing old junk and racing it. This one happens to have been dealer-serviced its whole life and aside from being dirty, I haven't put very much money into it. I suspect the coils are really old, I can't find them being replaced in the service records. I changed the spark plugs, OEM mazda, which cleaned up a very rough idle. Cleaned most sensors and electrical connections, helped a bunch.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

If you let the car sit for more than 7 days, it's guaranteed to be flooded. Fires up find after 5 days of sitting. Not exactly sure how that would happen. Injectors leaking? Oil injectors? Not sure.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Mazda
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/12/2018
Mazda Mechanic: Wolfgang, ASE Master Technician replied 1 month ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, ASE Master Technician

Welcome, I'm Wolfgang, Master Mazda Tech.

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.
  1. What happens if you pull the plugs and squirt 2 times oil in the chambers then reinstall the plugs and then fire it up ?
  2. if stalls what happens if you give more accelerator pedal?
  3. computer scan ? what codes are stored?

I do need the vin # to get the factory information to assist.

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
1. It'll fire, try to go to high idle but struggles around 1000rpm, then quits. You can repeat that a couple of times, then floods if you keep trying.
2. Quits immediately
3. No codes are thrown, I've got a cheap bluetooth scanner.I'm going to replace the coils; I'm sure they're due anyways given how bad the plugs were when I replaced them. My question is more, what would you try besides replacing coils/wires? I mostly go to rx8club.com and search through posts to match symptoms (it's actually worked well for several problems) but this one is a bit tougher to diagnose.I'm at work and wont have access to the vin for a few hours, I'll update this ticket as soon as I get it.

on these issues i use a starter button to get the motor spinning then turn the key on like a high compression race engine. If floods then create a vacuum leak to give more air and then retry.

Drew
Drew
Drew, Super Mazda Tech.