Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

I need to speak to someone regarding my mazda 3 S Touring…

I need to speak...

I need to speak to someone regarding my mazda 3 S Touring 2015.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Mazda2?

2015

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Mazda2 yourself? What have you tried so far?

It's currently at the shop. Need advice about breaking symptom.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I need addvice whether a front control arm assembly will need replacement or not.

3/11/2018
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I understand your concern. What is the reason that you are thinking of replacing the control arm? Are you hearing any noises from out of the ordinary coming from that area?

The Meineke manager is stating I would need a control arm. They would cover the breaking system replacement as covered by warranty, but would need all 4 wheels replaced since they found a nail punctured the read right tire. Smells like a scam to me. So I yelped the shop (Meineke in San Mateo) and here's what I found. They have my car at their shop since the part still under order and would arrive on Wednesday. Please advise!I believe it's our responsibility as consumers to address con artists and greedy businesses. This is one of those businesses.I took my car in for a basic brake inspection and was later told I needed new control arms ($1,200 estimate).I took my car to a reputable auto mechanic shop and my car's control arms were fine.Do not bring your car to this place

I ​think that they are just trying to upsale you to make some money out of the deal in order to offset the loss of time by covering the warranty. Also, if they have tried to charge you $1200 then they must plan on paying for both repairs with that charge. Also, WHY would all 4 tires need to be replaced because of a nail in one?? Give me a moment, please, to check the pricing information for the control arm.

No. That yelp review is from another customer. My car is still on the shop and waiting for the parts to arrive. The estimated cost is 2,100 with 4 new tires and front control arms, and new breaking system. Car runs smooth and only pulsates when it reaches 50mbp and up. Steering does not shake, it does not wobble left or right. It's really when pressing foot break. I really do not think the front control arms are the issue. Do you agree ??

A lower control arm will cost you about $160-$170. An upper control arm will at the most be around $100. The most amount of time for replacing the lower is about an hour, To replace the upper, the time would be about 2 hours. Here I am attaching the part and labor pricing information. The labor pricing is listed in hours and is determine by the hourly rate of the shop. I am not there to see, but I can still almost guarantee that you do not need control arms.

I​ believe that you need to go to another shop

Although, be sure that they do what they are responsible for.

I already signed a work order. Can I still back out on the control arm replacement and to just replaced to 2 tires instead of 4 ? Front tires still have 6 monthls life on it.

Y​es, you can do that. Depending on if they have started the work and ordered the parts. They may charge a fee.

Will I need the rear breaks replaced too or just the front ?
Dependson the condition. When were they replaced last
Front were replaced last July and rear back in Feb 2017.
Generally, the rear pads are r replaced everything third time the front is replaced, unless they become worn prior you this
Ok. Just to sum up: I will ask tomorrow to just replace the break system on both front wheels (have them honor the warranty), Just replace both rear tires being the right rear tire punctured and just keep the front wheel tires. I will request to cancel the control arms order for the front. If they insist on control arm replacement, I will say I would need 2nd opinion advice by Mazda..Will this suffice ?
That sounds right. They shouldn't give you a fuss at all, but you know, they will try.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated and necessary in order for experts to receive credit for answers provided. Thank you.

A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate, and I will still continue to assist you with this issue as needed

Last question just for my peace of mind:
What are the most early symptoms of a bad front control arm ?
Online shows below, is there more symptoms you can think of ?
My Mazda 3 2015 hatchback only shakes when I press footbrake at 50+ MPH, but below speed it does not shake at all.
Steering wheel is fine even at 80MPH +.1 Steering wheel vibration
2 Steering wandering
3 Clunking noises

T​hose are all of the signs that you would have for a bad control arm. The shaking when you are stopping is more than likely do to a bad tire.

Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician