Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

My car will spuddr and have the rpm go super high in first…

My car will spuddr and...
My car will spuddr and have the rpm go super high in first and second gear (99 miata) If I want to go 25-30 mph I need to be in 3rd gear for it to ride smoothly
3/10/2018
Mike V.
Mike V., Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

This indicates you have a clutch that is slipping. You should replace the clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing all at the same time to solve the issue, plus it will save in labor.

There is less torque in the higher gear which is why it slips less. It's really just a matter of time before it won't move at all.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, you do when you rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings. Your question does not close after you rate. You will still be able to contact me by replying to this post.
Thank you so much!

Mike V.
Mike V., Technician
I have another question my car won't turn on when I put the key in it won't even turn over but the battery is fine I got it checked

Do you hear a clicking sound from the starter when you try to start it?

No all I hear is the beeping of the door being open that seems to be the only electronic thing that’s working, but the started just got replaced like a month ago and it was working fast

Ok, if you don't hear the starter trying to start the car, then it's more then likely it's the clutch safety switch under the dash. This switch is so you have to push the clutch to start the car. You can try unplugging it, then run a jumper wire in the harness connector to connect the two wires. If the engine cranks, you know the switch is bad. Just remember, you will be able to crank the engine without the clutch pushed in, so if it's in gear it can move on you.

I had a “electrician” installing a push button start and then it wouldn’t start, so I’m guessing he messed up some wiring could it be that? I’ll check the clutch safety but i don’t think that’s what it will be

It is possible if you had someone messing with the key and ignition to put in a button they could have messed something up. I would have them look at it. Add on's like that aren't really something I can fix online, I would have to be with the car.

Okay thank you for the help anyways

You're very welcome and thank you for the rating.