Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

Checked the alternator, and it;s charging at 14 volts, but…

Checked the alternator, and...

Checked the alternator, and it;s charging at 14 volts, but the amps are low (fluxuating 8-22amps) changed the alternator, same issue

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?

Fuses are good it is charging, just not enough

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '14 Mazda?

No it's a 2012 mazda 3

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Mazda2 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Lol i'm a mechanic and own a shop

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Battery is new, not by us. alternator is new. replaced by us

3/7/2018
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Where are you getting the readings when you test?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
vat-40

I meant where on the system in the car are you taking the readings from, what point

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
voltage is good, 14volts but slightly fluxuating amperage is low around 8-22 amps
readings from the battery directly

whats it doing at the alternator?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i'm leaning towards a BCM. but wanted your input.
are the amps regulated by the BCM ?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
sorry just saw your response. I'm checking that now
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok at the alternator it's a bit higher. but still fluctuating 38-50amps
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
also, the voltage is fluctuating 13.5 to 14.5ish

ok unhook both cable and connector and take reading, if still fluctuation the alternator is bad, I see this quite a bit with new parts,

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i'm lost. unhook which cable and connector?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
how would I take a reading with it disconnected ?

the cable and connector going to the alternator, and just test it as you would if the cable was on but now its off

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
if I disconnect the cable, the voltage is obviously going to steady itself.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
if I disconnect the plug, then the alternator would not be doing anything at all.
also, just so you understand, the original alternator was doing the exact same thing.

how do you know this if you havent done it?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i'll check it right now. Can you explain how the voltage or amps could possibly fluctuate if the alternator is disconnected ?
That doesnt make sense to me. but I'll check it now

if the regulator in the alternator is bad it will show in this test and rule out any outside connections, which is fairly common, I know its a new part but they fail all the time

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. I could see disconnecting the plug to check that. But not the cable

I dont know why you keep questioning me? do you always question people giving you help?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My bad. Just trying to understand the theory.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Anyway, I disconnected the plug and cable. Now the voltage is sitting at 12.3 while running.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I also checked it with just the plug disconnected and not the cable, and the voltage was also at 12.3 while running. And steady.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just don’t understand why the amperage is so much higher at the alternator. And so low at the battery.

it should be a steady voltage, I would next check continuity from alternator wire to battery, if high resistance it should be inspected and or replaced, it could be rubbing somewhere

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. I’ll check that now.

there should also be a code in the computer have you scanned it yet ?

Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician
Mechanic01
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician