Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

I own a Mazda Miata 91' MX-5 Automatic transmission. I

Customer Question
I own a Mazda Miata...
I own a Mazda Miata 91' MX-5 Automatic transmission. I picked it up for $1300 and have spent nearly $1000 at the mechanic to get it back running. He told me the following fixes: Mass Air Sensor replacement: $375, Timing belt adjustment: $300, and control arm replacement: $400. After these fixes the miata is in an ok running condition. but it takes time to build acceleration and must require some playing around with the pedal to so call "catch the gears". Have I been ripped off by my mechanic?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mazda
3/7/2018
Mazda Mechanic: 350matt, Engineer replied 4 months ago
350matt
350matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

I'm not sure what a timing belt 'adjustment' is ? Usually you either replace it or leave it alone . Unless the cam timing had been set incorrectly by someone else?

Did you agree an hourly rate beforehand as to be honest the prices for each of those jobs isn't outrageous but are more in line with what you'd pay at a main dealer where hourly labour rates are $150 / hr

plus the car sounds like its not been fully repaired? as there should be no need to 'play' with the pedals to get it to go

has the auto trans oil been checked for level and condition and if thats OK the sump pan should come off to clean out the filter screen

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt