Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

04 Ford ranger 3.0 idles at 1250 rpm

Customer Question
04 Ford ranger 3.0 idles at 1250 rpm
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mazda
3/6/2018
Mazda Mechanic: Edward, Service Technician replied 4 months ago
Edward
Edward, Service Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Is the check engine light currently on now? or have you seen it come on and off since this idle problem has started? thank you.

Only code is rpm higher than expected

Alright, Have you cleaned the throttle body yet by chance?

it was cleaned and iac replaced and coil pack

Alright, try this, make sure all your hoses are tight and you don't have any vacuum hoses damaged or leaking, then take a can of carb cleaner, and put the straw in the nozzle, and spray a 1-2 second shot at each intake runner. I've seen these intake's leak before. if you hit a spot that is leaking the idle will react. That could be it, could also be the throttle body itself or throttle body gasket leaking. Should set another code for vacuum leak, but if it's small enough it might not. Have you tried that yet ? Also, when it's idling high, unplug the IAC connector and see if it goes down then any.

One problem with that the intake connects to the head under the valve covers
Already tried the carb cleaner and unplugged the iac

Alright, so the idle speed did nothing when you unplugged the iac?

Nope

Alright, I would think if it had a vacuum leak big enough to cause that kind of idle speed that it would set a code for it. Let me opt out as those were my suggestions. In case another expert has another suggestion. Thank you.

Mazda Mechanic: rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor replied 4 months ago
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, this is Ron a different expert. The best way to locate a vacuum leak is with a smoke machine, it's also the MOST accurate way too.

Let's try this re-learn procedure that I attached for you next though, this fixes IAC re-learns all the time if that's the problem.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

Did you have any more questions for me at this time?

Thanks again, Ron

I’m a mechanic at a repair shop. I tried to reset the idle with my Aurelia scanner and that didn’t work. I’ll try your relearn procedure and let you know.

Okay, also check that the TPS is set right too. About 1/2 volt at closed throttle is normal.

Thanks again, and please remember to rate me 5 stars now and keep our link in case you have any more questions.

Thanks again and please remember to rate me 5 stars now
and keep this link in case you need me again later on.
I don’t get credit for assisting you until you rate me
My goal is to assist you in the repair of your vehicle by
supplying you with well educated information. I may not
always have the exact fix you wanted to hear, but my job is
to get you on the right track, which I always do. I can’t hear,
see, smell or touch your vehicle from where I’m at, so your
understanding of that is greatly appreciated. There are no
magical answers, but I do my best to guide you in the right
direction.