Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

It is a 2003 protege 5 and it cranks but wont fire i have…

It is a 2003...

It is a 2003 protege 5 and it cranks but wont fire i have replaced the plugs the coil packs the wires the cam sensor and the crank sensor and all the fuses are good but i still do not have a spark

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the vehicle stall at low speeds? Does it sputter?

It does not run i just said that

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Protege yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes and i already told you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i have even tried starter fluid that is made me check if there was a spark
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/6/2018
Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Technician

Hi there - how many miles on the vehicle?

Turbo, or no turbo?

With the engine cranking, I would like you to check for power at the ignition coils - the black wire with a blue tracer. Disconnect one of the connectors at the coil. Please take care not to spread the connector terminal by jamming a multimeter lead into the connector - a pointy test light will work - I'm looking for main relay function here.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no turbo, under 100,000 miles and yes there is power but i have to recheck to tell you how much

I am concerned about the condition of the timing belt.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i didn't mess withe the timing belt and this problem started while i was driving down the road all of a sudden it it started slowing down and then wouldn't restart before that the only code was the egr valve and i replaced that

Regarding power at the coils, it should be the same as what the battery is at when cranking - maybe 11 volts or so... Ultimately, the computer is responsible for coil operation, and operation of the main relay. What I'm thinking is that if the timing belt has skipped, the cam / crank sync is out, and the computer may not operate the ignition coils, fuel pump, or injector pulse.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i can check that when i get home but regular driving should not make the timing belt jump

Will your scan tool read live data? Timing belt is a maintenance item, so... from the maintenance schedule - all I'm saying is... it is a possibility.

On 2003 model cars, replace at 105,000 miles. For models operated in cold climates, (0° F) replace every 60,000 miles.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
yea it does but i have never tried it on a car while it was just turning over

I'm looking for a cam signal, and a crank signal... to determine what the ECM is "seeing", or not seeing... Most scan tools will offer those parameters - typically either a "yes" or "no", and it should update as you crank the engine

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok i will message back after i check it

Ok! Chat later.

Hi there - any news?

Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Technician
Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Technician