Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

I have many miles on it, 267,000 and coming back from a

Customer Question
I have many miles...

I have many miles on it, 267,000 and coming back from a trick last night I noticed smoke coming from the left side of the hood. It got more and more smokey and just as I got near my house, I pulled over to look and it overheated and turned off as I parked. It let it cool and drove it 1/4 mile to my house.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?

It does look like there might be some leak; coolant sprayed in the near area but the reservior still had plenty of coolant.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mazda?

2002 protege

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Protege yourself? What have you tried so far?

It happened later last night so coming back from a long trip, and since i was so close to home I just parked it and am just now getting to the question really. It does start and drive; at least 1 -2 miles with no issue, but I'm fairly certain it will start to overheat if I continue driving or revving it. Not sure if I'll do it myself, guess it depends on the issue

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It's a very high mileage car that I've used mostly within relatively short distances but I would like to keep driving it if there is a not too costly option.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mazda
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/16/2018
Mazda Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Was the leaking coolant sprayed on the engine?

Some but not as bad as I would’ve expected

If its spraying coolant that that would explain the smoke you where seeing. This indicates you have a coolant leak and that could be a leaking hose or a water pump or even the radiator. The place to start to pinpoint the leak if you're not seeing it is to have a cooling system pressure test done. Have you done this yet?

Im not paying more money till I get some sort of answer.

I'm not asking you for any money, I'm trying to help you here.

Sorry man I’ve already been charged $20 for a series of questions that don’t seem to be leading me anywhere but to another request for money so you can talk to me on the phone. This is a bad service

I am also not requesting a phone call, those are from the site and not me. I'm trying to help you find a coolant leak without me being there to see it . A pressure test would be the step for you to have performed to pinpoint the leak so you can repair it and continue to drive the car.

At the moment, I got it home last night, parked it, and went to bed so I’m just getting around to it, although I’m at work now. Since it’s a high mileage car, do you suggest any head gasket sealants?

Since you did overheat the engine then yes adding some sealer is a good idea. If the head gasket is no completely blown it will help seal it if you have some seepage.

I’ve heard that Bars Leak 1111 works pretty good, or Blue Devil but I’ve never used or seen anyone use any head gasket sealant products

Blue Devil is the better of the two as long as it not a large leak in the gasket. In most cases, if the gasket is leaking the sealer if it holds is a temporary at best. You need to make sure you're not just dealing with an external leak first and the pressure test will help you find it.

You don’t necessarily have to endorse a product but what would you use?

If I was going to add some sealer I would go with the Blue Devil sealer.

Thank you. It really might be the only reasonable option at this point; unless you have any other advice

My advice would be to make sure its not a leaking hose and or the water pump or the radiator. If those check okay then add your sealer and hopefully this will allow you to drive it longer.