Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

I am working on the duratec 2.3l... does the position of the…

I am working on...

I am working on the duratec 2.3l... does the position of the crank shaft make a difference when i take the balancer unit off or put it back on since I will need to turn the crank to change the bearings?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you ever replaced the bearings?

Not in this car

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mazda?

2005 tribute

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tribute yourself? What have you tried so far?

Has a bad knock, trying to change the bearings to save the motor for ahwile...hopefully if not will have to put in a new/used motor, figure $200 is worth a try bofore spending $2000

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Pulled the valve cover to verify the nosie was not something broken up top, it is down low it sounds like a rod knock, and is starting to get louder, stop driving it and trying to save it

1/15/2018
Tim Mohr, ase master

Hi, my name is ***** ***** insure the crankshaft pulley is in the correct position, there is a threaded hole in the timing cover, and you thread a 16mm by 18mmm bolt into the cover and the hole in the balancer, would you like the procedure for doing this?

I think you are talking about the harmonic balancer, I am working on replacing the rod bearings. I have the oil pan off and need to know if the balancing unit that covers the middle to rod caps can be removed without marking position of the crank? So when i but it back on it will just bolt back on no matter where the crank is. See the diagram here, https://www.justanswer.com/mazda/4csb2-mazda-6i-son-2005-mazda-6i-2-3-removed.html

if you do not remove the harmonic balancer, there is no need to mark the cam, if you are just removing the cradle,Tim

Tim Mohr, ase master