Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

2003 Mazda Tribute v6. Bad idle and rough running.

2003 Mazda Tribute v6...

2003 Mazda Tribute v6. Bad idle and rough running. Checkediac coil and it is o.k. With ignition on and engine not running get about 3vdc between connector terminals, voltage side to batt neg 12.5 v, and pos batt terminal to neg side of connector same 3 Vic. I traced wire from iac connector to Pcm connector, it's o.k. No break in wire. Fired solenoid directly from batt terminals and heard audible click. Is the valve on/off or variable?.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the rough idle intermittent or consistent?

Consistent.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tribute yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. Replaced timing set, oil pump bank 2 valve lifters (had low compression on #4 & 6), valves checked at Mach shop, head resurfaced. Assorted sensors have been replaced (O2, throttle position, crankshaft, etc).

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

About 2 years ago the cat converter on bank 2 was damaged by a service tech at a Firestone store by spraying fi cleaner in the intake. My daughter (her car) drove from Tampa to middle Alabama and the replacement failed when she got here. This clogged the tailpipe converter also. The unit that I remove had a tag attached that indicated a 2008 mfg. date. I think those scoundrels put a used converter on the car. After replacing both con vertors, it ran good for about a year. This problem has gotten worse to the point that I had to stop and try to correct it. I think the Pam is going.

1/15/2018
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

I assume there are no codes stored since you did not mention the check engine light on. Clean the throttle body blade and bore. While idling at operating temp, unplug the IAC. You may need to apply some throttle to keep it from stalling. See if it will idle steady at 500rpm If not then adjust the throttle stop screw so it will. Shut it off, disconnect both battery cables, hold them together for one minute then reconnect and reconnect the idle. See if it improves. If not then I would replace the IAC. The PCM pulses a ground signal to the IAC to control it to open more or less.

Now the above steps are just for an idling issue. If there are concerns above idle when applying throttle then you need to confirm the engine is good with a compression test. Then do a fuel pressure test, clean the MAF, check for fuel trims out of specs, make sure the filters are clean and a tune-up is not needed.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5-star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Hello, Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician