Mazda

Mazda Repair Questions? Ask Mechanics for Answers ASAP

Mazda

1989 323 1.6l intermittent no spark from coil when ambient…

Hello.1989 323 1.6l intermittent...

Hello.1989 323 1.6l intermittent no spark from coil when ambient temp below say freezing.Distributor including igniter replaced 1yr ago.5000 miles.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 323 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Fix myself or junk it.89000 miles Id like to see it run awhile

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Injectors seem to fire during this no spark

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Right now its starting.The next time it doesnt start what should I check 1st?
I have DVOM and test light and some experience.Coil? Power from ignition switch?I smell gas so I believe injectors firing
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/15/2018
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. The first thing the I would check is the connection to the distributor and then the distributor output. If the distributor is producing good fire, then you should suspect the coil. Just a moment, please.

Here, I am attaching the electrical information for the ignition circuits along with the testing information for the distributor and the ignition coil. In order to test the ignition coil, you will need a multimeter with ohm capabilities.

For a 'no spark' issue, these components or the connections are the most probable causes.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated and necessary in order for experts to receive credit for answers provided. Thank you.A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate, and I will still continue to assist you with this issue as needed.
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank You so much Todd.Ambient temp seems to play a part here so Ill check the next no start no spark

You are very welcome. Also, that sounds great. I am suspecting the issue to be one of these components. Keep me posted. Thank you for the rating.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can I get a no spark diagnosis flow chart?
Like where to test for voltage etc when attempting to start.It has been starti g of late,but like I said its intermitted

Information for this vehicle is limited. Here, is the information that I am able to provide.

Todd M
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician