Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

Have a 2001 MPV and it won't start. When I try to start it I…

Customer Question
Have a 2001 MPV...

Have a 2001 MPV and it won't start. When I try to start it I get one spark at the plugs and then no more spark as I continue to crank it over

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Battery cables are clean and tight

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your MPV yourself? What have you tried so far?

I was trying myself. I have tried new plugs and I had another coil pack. same problem after changing these items

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Problem started the morning after the big snowstorm last week

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mazda
1/10/2018
Mazda Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 7 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

Is this pertaining to all cylinders, sparks once then nothing?

I only checked cylinders 4,5,6 and they all reacted the same.

Mazda has admitted they have had problems internally with the distributors on a couple of model years around that time and yours is one of them . the crank and cam sensors in particular. At your age of vehicle we recommend replacing the distributor assembly. Do you wish further help or advice let me know.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. In the process of helping you I will use sources from all different places that I feel fit and to the point that will speed up my help for you. This may include links, videos, shop notes and procedures as well as my own personal experience of over 40 yrs in the trade.