Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

Mazda 3 2011 2.5L. 131 K miles. Manual. Excessive smoke

Customer Question
Mazda 3 2011 2.5L...

Mazda 3 2011 2.5L. 131 K miles. Manual. Excessive smoke coming out of exhaust after driving for 20+ minutes, Looks white. Took it into a local garage 2+ weeks ago. Ran exhaust gas test within overflow reservoir (Device not chemical test), coolant system compression test, and pulled and inspected spark plugs. No indication of head gasket issue. No coolant loss. I marked coolant level on reservoir when cold and check every morning when cold. Was very cold in MI last two weeks today 35 degrees. NO sweet smell from exhaust. Mild rotten egg smell. Runs with no loss of power. Any ideas? At the garage they mentioned it might be excessive water trapped in exhaust system. Unconfirmed. Looking for answers? John

Mechanic's Assistant: Is this your first time dealing with this issue? What size is your engine?

2.5L. Yes. Started about 6 weeks ago. Through much milder.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Mazda2 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Mazda 3. No. I am not a mechanic. Local garages used. As indicated, they did not give me alliterative diagnosis. Only that they did not see a positive indicator for a head gasket issue.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Mazda
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/9/2018
Mazda Mechanic: Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician replied 3 months ago
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician
Good evening, I hope you are doing great. My name is***** would be happy to help you with this.So what I have seen what you are describing on one other vehicle, and it was a result of a failing catalytic converter. It seemed like it was burning coolant by the smoke, but after multiple pressure tests there was never any coolant loss.I pulled the exhaust off and it had residual water up because it was not burning correctly through the converter.I would recommend inspecting the exhaust system and checking out condition of the converters
Gabriel,Thanks for the feedback.
May I ask a question or two?
Also would like to give you an update.First I went for a extended drive tonight. 40 miles, Temp was about 33 outside. My tank was down to about 1 gallon I put in 93 octane 1/2 a tank. Also checked oil. Hard to read dipstick so I added 1/2 a quart as a precaution. After 25 minute of constant driving I pulled into a parking lot - little or no vapor. Exhaust tips bone dry. After idling in that spot for 10 minutes moisture and exhaust smoke began to appear again. After hitting the road exhaust smoke lessened. Any thoughts on this? Also if I were to take my car in for an exhaust inspection what should I tell them? How do they check for excessive water in the system? The initial garage mentioned a weep hole. What is that? Also they mentioned drilling a hole somewhere in the exhaust to relieve the water. Is that ever done? Thanks. John

Okay that is great information to have. Since the problem happens at idle and not under a load that tells me it is definitely an exhaust performance issue, most likely it just cannot keep up currently. I have seen quite a few times where people have just installed a small drain hole, as long as it is not too large it does not have a negative effect on the exhaust backpressure

Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician