Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

I'm a distraught Mazda MX5 RF owner. Bought it in June 2017…

Customer Question
I'm a distraught Mazda...

I'm a distraught Mazda MX5 RF owner. Bought it in June 2017 and it was fine for a couple of months. The the battery started dying if I left it for a couple of weeks. At first I could use a charger to get it started (I had two brand new battery chargers-one a standard 6amd and the other a 2 amp trickle charger. After one incident, took it to my local dealer and he said the amount of battery drain when shut down was within specs. When it kept happening, I took it b"ack and he said they found a bad cell in the battery and replaced it. Worked okay for a couple of weeks, but when I left it unused for about 20 days, it was REALLY DEAD- Couldn't even open the trunk. After my 2 amp charger was on for a couple of hours the digital readout said "bad battery ". I then tried the 6 amp charger and it showed a green light as if it was charging, but after a couple of hours it was still dead. I happened to open the driver's door and every light on the dashboard started blinking and the horn started tooting. When I asked the dealer to bring it back in, he said I should disconnect the battery and try charging again. I'm leery of disconnecting for fear of losing memory in some components, such as the radio. Any suggestions?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

No-wouldn't know how.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your MX-5?

2017

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your MX-5 yourself? What have you tried so far?

No-this is still warranty work.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No. When I talked with Mazda central, they said I had to run the car at least twice a week, but no vehicle I have ever owned has required that. I have three vehicles plus my wife's car, so the Mazda doesn't necessarily get called on for every drive.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mazda
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/7/2018
Mazda Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

OK if your battery is ded you have lost the presets anyways and you should always charge the battery off of the vehicle, the charger can cause lots of problems with the vehicles electrics. And it sounds to me like you have a bad battery, and maybe a draw in the system, once you get the battery figured out I would do a draw test on it