Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

My key fob for my 2008 Mazda 6 stopped working. It will not…

Customer Question
My key fob for...

My key fob for my 2008 Mazda 6 stopped working. It will not flash red when pushed, nor lock and un-lock doors. The car does start with the key fob though so it does recognize this. Replaced the battery for the key fob and it will still not light up when pressed or lock doors.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the door switches?

I am not certain how to check the fuses. Have not tried the power locks yet on the doors.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Mazda2 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am not fixing my 2008 Mazda 6 myself just replaced the battery on the key fob thinking this was the issue. This still will not lock the doors after battery replacement. Does the key fob need reprogramming?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, just that this is the first issue I have had with the key fob. One thing to note that prior to this the car would not flash it's lights when I would un-lock the doors with the key fob. This happened. Two weeks ago.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Mazda
12/31/2017
Mazda Mechanic: 350matt, Engineer replied 6 months ago
350matt
350matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

if the fob is no longer lighting up its little red LED even with new batteries then it may need replacing

however its worth trying the re-synchronisation process:

Step 1: Open driver side door and leave open.

Step 2: Lock and Unlock the drivers door using the power door lock switch on the door

Step 3: Insert key into the ignition.

Step 4: Turn Key to ON position and return to Lock (off) position. Do this 3 times within 10 seconds. LEAVE key in the ignition in Lock (off) position.

Step 5: Close and open the drivers door 3 times. Leave door open after this step

Step 6: ECU should respond by locking and unlocking the doors once.

Step 7: Press any button on remote #1 twice. ECU responds by locking and unlocking the car doors.

Step 8: Additional remotes, repeat Step 7 for up to 3 remotes total.

Step 9: Remove the key from the ignition and the ECU will respond a final time with a series (about 4) of door locks and unlocks.

if this doesn't help then I think you may need a new fob I'm sorry to say

new fobs can be bought on-line cheaply but can only be coded to the car by a dealer I'm afraid as only they have access to the correct kit and mazda database

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt