Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

I have a crank but no start issue. Seems to be getting fuel…

Customer Question
Hello, I have a...

Hello, I have a crank but no start issue. Seems to be getting fuel and fire. Coil replaced and fuel from filter verified. thinking ignition module

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

No change in fuel mileage and will not start

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mazda?

1992 b2600i 4x4 standard trans

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, replaced coil and rotor button also verified fuel from fuel filter

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that's all. thanks

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Mazda
12/15/2017
Mazda Mechanic: Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician replied 5 months ago
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician

Hi, My name is Jay

If you are not getting any spark to the plugs and have replaced the coil then you most likely have a bad crank angle sensor in side distributor. Here is picture diagram of sensor in distributor.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o2or6aar2sf5r5q/1992%20mazda%202600i%20dist%20module.pdf?dl=0

It appears that I am getting some spark. I put a screwdriver in one of the plug wires and got a spark. It seemed to be light though. meaning that it was more yellow than blue but the screwdriver was a little rusted. Also the link you sent seems to have a issue.

I just checked link and it opened fine. Have you tried to spray starter fluid into engine and see if it tries to start?

I have not tried that but I pulled the feeder hose from the fuel filter and cranked the engine and got a lot of fuel

Is this engine the fuel injected or carburetor version?

Fuel injection

Try the starting fluid since you may have fuel pressure but no injector pulse from computer to open the injectors to let fuel in. May be a computer or distributor sensor issue.

Distributer sensor? would that be the ignition module

Yes it is the igniter ignition module.

This may be why you have weak spark and may not have injector injecting fuel. Try the start fluid trick to see if it starts and tries to run?

not likely to be the module or the crank angle if its getting any spark? this one is getting what appears to be a yellow spark from screw driver in the plug wire test

Then you can disconnect one of the injectors and put a noid or test light between connector pins and crank to see if it is getting injector pulse?

okay, I will give that a try when I get home also will try the starting fluid. If getting pulse and will not run with starting fluid what would be you educated guess. I was hoping this might be a common problem

If you are getting good spark and have injector pulse and engine starts with starter fluid then you either have worn out plugs, bad fuel or clogged fuel injectors. If the engine starts with starter fluid and then keeps running then look at the spark plugs and plug wires.

plugs and wires like new maybe 3k on them. Not sure what you mean by good spark though. I am getting a yellow spark from the plug wires. I had that issues years ago with a Toyota and it was the coil but this coil is new.

If you had a spark tester like one from a parts store or Harbor Freight it will have a specified gap and if spark jumps gap then coil is good enough to jump spark plug gap.

which would also indicate that the module and distributor are okay as well and if so possible ECM issue

If you are getting good spark and injector pulse then it is not an ignition or computer problem but a fuel problem. Did you get fuel the day before the problem started? Or did the vehicle die on you while driving? I have seen when getting fuel a lot of water was in fuel and will cause no start the next morning when all the water settles to bottom of tank.

Shut down while driving, then restarted once for about 30sec hasn't started since. Fuel is about 3 weeks old not a daily driver.

I will have to opt out to another expert so you can work with them after you get home. Please do not respond until another expert contacts you to continue diagnosis or question will lock back to me. Thanks.

Jaybird61
Jaybird61