Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

The battery light has only come on when I'm driving on the…

The battery light has...

The battery light has only come on when I'm driving on the interstate (once I reach 75mph - 2600rpm) or if I rev the engine to around 3,500rpm while driving on a surface road. Like when you floor it to get up to speed when pulling out in traffic.This morning, while driving on the interstate, the battery light came on along with the ABS, skidding/traction control and power steering lights came on. I then lost the power steering and the headlights dimmed. I pulled off the next exit and by the time I got the car stopped for the traffic light at the bottom of the exit ramp, all those lights had gone off, the headlight brightness was back and the engine had plenty of power. I drove on for a few miles, around 45-50mph and experienced no issues. I even stopped and started the car two more times and the car started right up, no hesitation and plenty of power.
Until that issue this morning, I hadn't noticed any dimming of the lights and the engine/starter had no issues when I would start the car in the morning to leave for work. I went to my closest Mazda Dealership last week and they test the battery and charging system and said both passed, no issues, no codes.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

The only power loss happened this morning when the power steering light came on. Once I stopped the car, the warning lights went off and the car seemed normal. In fact, it seemed to have more power than before. Every time I've started the car, it starts without hesitation.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mazda?

2012 Mazda 3, 2.5L. 91k miles, new battery put in back around February/March of this year.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Mazda2 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Mazda 3.... the only thing I've done is check the battery cables (to see if they were frayed or were loose on the posts). As I mentioned, the only other thing I've done is the system check at the dealership last week.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

12/12/2017
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Since you had warning lights and the lights themselves did dim this does sound like an intermittent low voltage issue.This will cause warning lights to come on from other computers in the vehicle turning on these lights due to low voltage.I have seen this several times before.This sounds to be intermittent so it is a fault with either the alternator intermittently not charging properly ( very possible and when it was tested it may have been working properly so it passed the test at that time) or an issue with a loose cable leading from the battery to the starter, alternator or fuse panels or a loose ground from the battery to the engine block or body.It is usually one of these that will cause this fault.

I would trace and check all cables for any issues including fuse panel power cable input feeds.If all cables and connections appear to be o.k. with no loose or corroded connections as well as no bulging cables or damaged cables then the alternator will need to be tested when it is acting up.If you can pull into a local parts store when it is acting up and have them test the alternator quickly ( they will do this free of charge) this will tell you for sure if it is acting up intermittently needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Thanks for the quick response. I've got another appointment scheduled at my local Mazda Dealership this afternoon.

Your welcome

If you do need anything else on this let me know.

Thanks Pete