Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

I replaced the front head light assembly and now the front…

I replaced the front...

I replaced the front head light assembly and now the front turn signals don't work. I put in new bulbs for the turn signals.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?

Yes and yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mazda?

2006 mazda 6

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Mazda2 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I've replaced all the bulbs and light housing in the front of the car, I've checked the fuse and bulbs Headlights an d brights work, turns don't

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Its a 2006 Mazda 6

12/10/2017
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

In the underhood fuse panel with key on checl power on both top terminals on fuse marked hazard fuse

you want me to test the power to the "HAZARD" fuse using a multimeter? I can do this.
Text will work fine for me.

yes

Ok, I tested the fuse and I was getting a 10.9 - 11.1 Volts
Also the rear turn signals work only the front don't work

if you unplug the headlight assembly does it restore everything else?

No change with head lights plugged in or disconnected.
Only rear hazard lights work in both cases.
I think there are two small hazards in the front that were connected to the bumper, those are not working with headlight assembly on or off.

ok at the left front turn light unplug connector and check for power and ground with key on signal on

I put the old headlight assemblies back in and front and rear turn signals work, still no action for the little one on the bumper (maybe they arn't turn signals?). The new headlight didn't ship with the turn signal housing, I guess I can't reuse turn signal housing. Unless you have another suggestion I'll reach out to the headlight assembly manufacture.

there are only 2 front turn signals and they are in the lights, can you send pictures of the new and old assemblies ?

I Had to run some errands I'll send pics I a few

sounds good

Adding some pictures.
Current Status
- OLD Housing works
- NEW Housing turn signals don't work
- Use same turn signal housing and bulb in both
IMG_20171210_153859.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20171210_153906.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20171210_153909.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20171210_153914.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20171210_154027.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20171210_154039.jpgIMG_201...jpg

have you checked on the housing if the turn bulb is getting power at the terminal?

How would I run that test, take 12v to the turn signal pins on the housing?

use your mulitimeter turn it to 20vdc and put black lead on battery or body ground and red lead on the turn signal terminal with key on signal on

Do you mean on the plug coming from the car, or on the house plugged into the car? Also do you have a diagram for the plug?

I mean at the bulb where it plugs in to the assembly plug the new one and and check it there

I'm not following, in the picture I sent you see the Turn Signal Housing is put into the light assembly and twisted in place, not exposing any terminals to test. The only exposed metal is on the female side of the plug attached to the housing.
that is
oh ok
When I was going Battery Black to Housing I was getting a alternating 11.5 - 0 - 11.5 in time with the functional back lights
When I was going Battery Red to Housing I was getting a steady 12v

sounds like the terminals arnt lining up with your bulb housing

I was thinking the same thing, any suggestions? Adjusting the total rotation? Adding a drop of solder to one end?

I would just gauge where it is and try to line it up you may have you pull out the terminals a bit so they make better contact

From what I can tell they look lined up. I tied pulling on the housing side and it popped off. I'll see if I an adjust the other side.
The goal of the new housing was clear front glass. Do you think it would be possible to move the front glass between the housings?

they are glued in so that will be pretty tough, I would just get your money back and get a different set from a different manufacture

I got it working! I bent out the turn single some and it worked

sweet! I knew it something with those terminals,

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Customer satisfaction is my number one goal. Giving me nothing less than a 5 star rating would be appreciated very much. You can do this rating at the box on the upper right hand corner. This will not close our chat session and at no extra charge we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free! Providing a rating is the only way I will receive credit for my work with you. Negative ratings do not result in a refund so If you’re not satisfied with the work we have done so far please respond more and let’s get your question figured out. Thanks Shawn!

I do have another question about this Mazda. When it first powers on it makes some whining static noise that seems to come from the throttle body, air intake to engine. Should I be concerned?

is it only when the throttle body is actuated? have you popped the hood and listed to it when its happening to pinpoint the exact location of the noise?

It happens when I turn the key to power accessories. I've hit it while working on these lights. And yes I've pinpointed the throttle body

some of those are very loud for some reason, as long as its working ok and not throwing any codes I wouldnt worry about, one thing you can check is the carbon deposts in the throttle body, they make a throttle body cleaner for that or you can use carb cleaner, I like to use a old toothbrush and just brush until its new again, this should be done about every 30K

Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician
Mechanic01
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician