Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

Suddenly started making a scraping and grinding noise when…

Suddenly started making a...

Suddenly started making a scraping and grinding noise when turning right - Mazda 3 2010, low mileage, well maintained

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

Just started today after a right turn and sounds like it is in the wheel well area - looked to see if something was stuck there - everything looks normal.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Mazda2 yourself? What have you tried so far?

It's a mazda 3, I don't fix it myself, I take it to the dealer

12/10/2017
ironmike
ironmike, ASE Certified Technician

greetings,

how many miles? I have seen many vehicles with either loose wheel/hub bearings or brakes cause a scrapping noise on turns. Lets first check the front brakes. If they are low and you are handy they can be replaced. Most shops replace rotors or machine them but you can just replace the brake pads if the rotors do not look too bad. Let me know what you find

it has about 30,000 K and had a brake inspection about a year ago and there was not much wear.
it has about 30k, had a brake inspection and complete check up recently

I would check the backing plates to see if they are rubbing on the rotors. Sometimes when mechanics remove the wheels to check the brakes they turn the brake and rotor assembly to get a better view of the pads(calipers usually have an opening where the piston is). this view can show the inner pad better. I have done this myself and bent the backing plate(inside metal shield to keep water and dirt off the rotor) when making turns the rotors/hubs move top to bottom in and out slightly(this is normal) They can hot the rotor on turns and not hit going straight.

S​ince it was recently checked the mechanic could have tweaked the backing plate. If we look at how far it is off the rotor or even for rub spots on the plate it will show this.

Now it may also be the hub/wheel bearings. The mechanic could put the vehicle on a lift and use sound detection equipment to isolate the noise. The NVH(noise ,vibration, harshness) tools they have now at the shops can even do this as they drive on the road to duplicate the symptom.

30k could be time for brakes, depends on the kind of driving. I will see if there are any bulletins for this

Does the noise change with speed? is it a rotational noise?

If the noise just happens when turning and not moving it could be the struts and or strut mounting plates.

ironmike
ironmike, ASE Certified Technician