Mazda

Mazda Repair Questions? Ask Mechanics for Answers ASAP

Mazda

I drained the battery because I left something on in the car

Customer Question
that draws on the battery...
I drained the battery because I left something on in the car that draws on the battery and did not drive the car for a couple of days. I added A purchased seat heater which connects through the cigarette lighter out
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: The car was totally dead and I was rushing to a doctors appointment after surgery the prior day. The guys where I live have a portable battery charger they jumped my car it started but they did not leave the cables on long enough. They pulled them off and the car stopped. So they had to quickly reconnect them The car was running but I turned it off mistakenly because I was seeing a lot of warning lights. A friend came who is very good with cars and has jumper cables. He did jump the car battery but the car locked up when I want to back it up my steering was locked all of the lights came on the hydraulic brake light was flashing on and off and I could not stop it and more. In the end the car had to be flat bed truck to the Mazda dealership 16 miles away. They put in a new battery they also mentioned to me a fuse had been blown. They gave me a completely new battery. They did also say to me something about the cables having not been connected correctly at some point that was it I drove away it was closing time and I did not have a chance to check out the car beyond knowing that I could drive it and it had a new battery But there is more to the story and I worry about this
JA: What is the model/year of your Mazda?
Customer: But there is more to the story and I worry about this. I am unable to get into the entertainment function. I press on the icon on the screen and nothing happens the car is parked and the brake is on so there is no risk of anything else. I am unable to connect via Bluetooth it just gives me over and over again and error message. It did suggest that I disable Bluetooth and I did get rid of the connection to my phone completely and then reconnected and I still could not have any progress. So my hands-free is gone. I also get only a charge to my phone using the USB connection but there is no connectivity to the car and I have turned off Bluetooth at this point just to let it run fully on USB
JA: What year is your Mazda?
Customer: My best case scenario is that we can fix this with the fuses my worst case from what I read is that I may have bigger electrical damage I guess I would say because the jumper cables were as I was told not connected properly at one point during the attempt to charge the battery.
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I guess I would say because the jumper cables were as I was told not connected properly at one point during the attempt to charge the battery.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I was told by MMazda to come in to see them When they are open on Monday. In the meantime I would be tempted to see if maybe I could hold the audio fuses I read that there are two and that people have been helped by pulling them out and then putting them back in. It sounded like the shop when they replaced the battery they replaced a fuse but they did not tell me which one or any detail
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Mazda
12/8/2017
Mazda Mechanic: Mike S., Mechanic replied 1 month ago
Mike S.
Mike S., Mechanic

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Great

Perhaps you blew the fuse for the cigar lighter when you hooked up the seat heater. The jumper cables hooked up backwards could have blown a diode in the alternator.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am in the middle of eating dinner right now so I don’t really want to pick up the phone and talk the problem was from what happened after the battery was drained. I have a pad to heat my seat which I left connected and Mazda does not stop charging when my car is off white BMW does my BMW will not charge anything unless the car is running
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am worried that the guys getting the connection wrong charging cables trying to jump the dead battery did more damage than simply blowing a fuse. The dealership mentioned a fuse was blown and that there had been something not connected correctly when the car was jumped they change the battery but they did not go through and check other systems like Bluetooth and Radio Are disabled I hope that it can be fixed with a fuse or something minor but I fear that maybe it could be something bigger that I will have to pay for and I hope that I don’t run into that

So, how can I help?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I would just like your opinion about why I cannot access the music and radio function on my car and why Bluetooth refuses to connect and why USB connection does not work either nothing works the car drives everything else in the car works except for the communication area entertainment and communication I’m just worried that it could be a very expensive fix If it is more than fuses I wanted your opinion on whether you thought it might be that or it’s bigger that’s what I needed and also if I’m able over the weekend to get out to the audio fuses where are they I read somebody had a problem and they pulled them out and put them back in and fixed their problem

What is the model/year of your Mazda?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
2017 Mazda 3 sedan brand new
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi it’s too bad we can talk tomorrow I don’t know if that’s possible I’m not feeling well I had surgery on My eye Tuesday & It is starting to irritate me tonight I probably should not of started this but I will be free all day tomorrow

Yeah, we can talk tomorrow. I'll be on about 10am eastern us.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sounds good I might be a little bit later than that I have a friend I’m talking to you first thing in the morning how can I reach you?

One more questions, does this have the 2.0 or 2.5 engine and is it a sport, touring or grand touring?

Just type right in here and I'll get a notice that you posted nd then I'll read it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK sounds good have a good night

does this have the 2.0 or 2.5 engine and is it a sport, touring or grand touring?

I might have the answer by the time you come on tomorrow.

Drew
Drew
Drew, Super Mazda Tech.