Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

I have a 2000 mazda mpv 6 cyl. problem is that the shifting…

Customer Question
hi i have a 2000...
hi i have a 2000 mazda mpv 6 cyl. problem is that the shifting handle its stock it does not let me shift.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mazda
12/8/2017
Mazda Mechanic: Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician replied 7 months ago
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician

Hi, my name is Jay

Are you saying the vehicle will not let you shift from park after you start the vehicle? Check to see if the rear brake lights work when you press the brakes? Let me know on both questions?

it does not shift. and yes rear lights work when i press brake

Does it feel like the shift lock is releasing and just hard to pull out of park or is the lock holding shifter? There was a problem with the transmission shift linkage detent causing hard to get out of park and requires extra effort to pull out of park. Let me know if this is the case with yours?

See if you can turn your ignition to the first position from off and can shift to neutral from there?

The lock is holding the shifter

Check the cigar fuse in the fuse panel in dash. If it is blown it will cause no shift lock solenoid operation. Do you notice the lighter socket is not working?

You also should have an override button on steering column so you can get it out of park until get it fixed.

Let me know if you had a blown cigar fuse?

Cigar fuse it’s good

Can you push the manual release on steering column to release shifter?

You will need to remove steering column covers to gain access to the shift lock actuator and check to see if actuator is getting a signal from the relay when the brakes are pressed. If it does have power and still does not move then replace actuator.

Check the power to actuator with covers off and if you get power when the brake is depressed then replace lock actuator.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

what can cause it to sometimes get power and others dont? cause i remove covers check for power and and there was no power then i try it again for couple times and suden there was power and i can shift. now its working just fine

It may be a loose contact or relay under left side of dash is intermittent. You can follow wires back to relay and replace relay if it is making bad contact inside relay that controls the actuator.

do u have a pic and exact location for that relay? and how its call, please.

Manual only tells me it is under left side of dash with no location picture. The manual calls it key interlock solenoid relay.

Hi, Can you please enter a 5 star rating so I can get credit for assisting you? If you have additional questions please respond here so I can assist you. Thanks.

is there another name or part number for that? cause i call diferent places like napa and they cant find it.

The part is called shift interlock solenoid and the shift interlock solenoid.

If NAPA or other parts store cannot find it then you may need to contact dealer.

Also called shift lock actuator as seen on Auto Zone website.

ok i found it as shift interlock solenoid in auto z. can u tell me steps to replace it including timming please, thanks man.

My manual does not have any directions to replace the shift interlock solenoid on this model. There are several videos online if you search up the shift interlock on your vehicle. What do you mean with the timing?

labor time

I do not show a specific labor time for the shift interlock but the labor to replace the shift cable is 1.5 and should be very close to the same time.