Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

I have a 2008 Mazda CX-7 that ran perfectly before it was…

Customer Question
Good morning. I have...

Good morning. I have a 2008 Mazda CX-7 that ran perfectly before it was hit while it was parked on the passenger rear end. The damage is between the tire and the bumper, so mostly on the side of the vehicle. My wife told me when she pulled it in the garage after the accident that it sputtered. Mazda says there is no inertia switch to reset.The 30 amp pink and purple fuse under the hood looks good. Can't tell if there really is good or not but I do hear the pump working. When I was first working on it it had slight sputtering as if there was a spark, so I don't think it's a spark issue. Now it cranks but does not have that sputter whatsoever anymore. It just cranks and a consistent cranking sound. Do you nurses switch would've been the perfect fix because after it was head there was enough fuel to pull into the garage from the driveway. Then when I went to start it it had that slight sputtering and now nothing as if all of the fuel is completely outafter the inertia switch would have activated. But as I said that's not the case because there is no inertia switch. Part stores and even Mazda have trouble with the relay and the fuse on their computers. They said I can bring them in and I can match them. I disconnected the battery overnight and tried starting it in the same thing happens

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?

Sorry if it's confusing but I hope I explained it well

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your CX-7 yourself? What have you tried so far?

210,000. No issues whatsoever with starting. Ran great

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mazda
12/6/2017
Mazda Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Do you have a check engine light on?

Have you checked actual fuel pressure yet?

No light and no to fuel pressure. I was just looking at my manual and it was saying the security system can be reset after a possible break-in. I unlocked the door like it said and pressed unlock on my remote and when I cranked it it started sputtering like it's trying to start again. I haven't had that sputtering for over a week now. I cranked it multiple times this morning and no sputtering. I haven't been in a hurry to fix it because I had double knee replacement but I'm to the point in my healing process that I'll be able to drive soon.

Is there a security light on in the dash?

When I turn the key forward and all the light stop flashing and dinging, no there is no security light on. I just tried starting it and it was the closest to starting it's been in two weeks.

sounds ike you may have a bad fuel pump , I would check fuel level and pressure next

are you asking about fuel level in the gas tank? Its over 1/2 tank. I would have to get a pressure gauge, but where would I check for fuel pressure

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lvaojw8k30pz924/pump.docx?dl=0

The gauge may not be correct on that and its not giving me a diagram of the place to check so if you can send a picture of the top of the engine ill show you where to check, and I sent a few things to check for relays, you would just want to swap them out with like relays to see if its working or not, we can also do some electrical tests if you have a volt meter

Im sorry I should have been more specific you will have to remove the cover for that, the 3rd picture with more light with cover off would be great

hello?

Sorry, a lot of therapy kicking my butt. The other day I went back out to the car after I took the pictures and tried starting it again. It sputtered a lot more so I let the pump run till it stopped, cranked and let the pump run cranked and let the pump run and finally it started sputtering and started running. I'm convinced it was that security reset with the drivers door key. If you don't have a copy of the manual I can take a picture and send you one for future questions. I appreciate all your help and I would still like to take the cover off and send you the picture so you can tell me where to get fuel pressure from. My son was supposed to come home from school this weekend but did not and it's hard for me to work out there. It might take a week to get you the picture if that's all right with you. Otherwise we start it every day and it runs every day with no problems whatsoever. I appreciate all your help

I can wait for the picture, no worries