Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

The power steering on my 2011 Mazda 3 has recently failed,

Customer Question
with the warning light coming...
The power steering on my 2011 Mazda 3 has recently failed, with the warning light coming on. The first time it failed was about two weeks ago when the light came on. However, when I restarted the car it was fine for two weeks. Then on a trip, the power steering went out mid-drive. I restarted the car, but it'd work again for couple seconds then turn off again. I repeated this about 3 times, after which it worked again for 20 minutes. Since then, it has failed again and has only come back once for a minute. I have gotten a diagnostic, and it has recommended the replacement of the EPS CM. I have just recently changed the battery. My question is, is this most likely a module problem as the diagnostic suggests? How likely is it that it could be the power steering pump or wiring? Five months ago I got into a fender bender where the bumper and washer fluid tank had to be replaced, but was an inch off from the pump.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Mazda
12/6/2017
Mazda Mechanic: nelson freitas,
 replied 6 months ago
nelson freitas

Hello, and thanks for using JustAnswer, my name is ***** ***** I have been an Automotive Technician for over 15 years.

I was able to find some information about your problem and it seems very common that when in an accident, even a small one that many people tend to have power steering issues with this system.

I would suggest following first to inspect for damaged steering components. In a lot if cases, when the steering rack takes a hit it gets damaged internally and causes low power steering assist.

Also there are no tests given by the manufacturer to determine if the electric power steering pump is good or bad. In theory a pressure test could be performed as you would do on a normal power steering system, but there would be no specifications to support that test. In cases where we have seen a bad power steering pump, there has typically been a code indicating a problem with the pump motor current draw.

I hope this information helps, let me know what you find.

Nelson

I've gone and checked the rack, and the rack seems good. So it looks like it is most likely the power steering module. I have taken off the bumper before to replace the washer fluid reservoir, are there any special tools needed if I wanted to buy a power steering pump with the module attached as replacement? Also would it be possible for my local Mazda dealer to program a used module for me? Thank you so much.