Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

I have a Mazda 5 with no remote, just a key. It turns in the…

Customer Question
Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a Mazda 5 with no remote, just a key. It turns in the door, but won't unlock... I'm locked out!

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has this ever happened before?

60k. No.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Mazda2?

It's a mazda5... are u a robot?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Mazda2 yourself? What have you tried so far?

It is a Mazda 5

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just had body work done, but key WORKED when I picked it up. The remote key is locked in car.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mazda
11/25/2017
Mazda Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

If the key turns but the door doesn't unlock then there is either a latch issue or the linkage between the latch and lock cylinder is not in place. If body work was just done on this door then there is a good chance that this problem is related.

Getting the door open is going to require something such as a slim jim type tool or a lockout kit which uses an inflatable bag and wedge to make an opening to insert a tool into the vehicle to pull the door handle or press the lock switch to unlock it. Most towing services will have these items. If this has happened as a result of body work then the shop that did the work will most likely take care of it for you.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.