Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

2007 Mazda MX5. Trunk latch is stuck and I can't get in the…

Customer Question
2007 Mazda MX5. Trunk...

2007 Mazda MX5. Trunk latch is stuck and I can't get in the trunk. Interior button is not functioning — I may have inadvertently disabled it with the trunk switch — and the key will only turn from the 12-1:30 position then stops. I can her it moving something in the latch, so I don't think it is a key/lock issue?

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

It's perfectly drivable and I have tried both keys in the trunk lock.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your MX-5 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes and no. Just trying to turn the key. They did try to override the interior switch electrically at the dealership and locksmith, but the consensus is that the override switch must have been tripped in the trunk. There was an issue with the key getting stuck in the lock when I bought it a few months ago, and turning more than now, but doesn't seem to be a problem any more after a few doses of WD40 and messing around with it. Now it will go in and out fine, but will only turn slightly. It feels like something on the latch end of things is interfering or not functioning right. I could be wrong though.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

A lot of what I am seeing is that you will have to drill a hole behind the license plate and try to get some needle nose pliers in there to work the bar between the two. NO

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Mazda
11/23/2017
Mazda Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 8 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

I am sorry no one has responded yet. I know you must be thinking " I have been taken or this is a scam" Neither are the case. Sometimes there are more questions than we can get to and we just keep getting farther and farther behind. Sometimes what a customer asks, no experts online are confident there answer will be good enough. Is there any more information you can add to your concern or is there another concern you may have that we could answer instead?

Chris