Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

My check engine light went on at the beginning of a short…

My check engine light...

My check engine light went on at the beginning of a short drive to the train station and back, and didn't go off. The car seems to be functioning normally. It was just serviced last Wednesday. I have an important meeting tomorrow morning 15 miles away

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Stays on.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Station?

2015 mazda 5

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Station yourself? What have you tried so far?

We checked the fuel tank to make sure it was tight. That's all we've done.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I want to know if I could drive it 15 miles to an appointment early in the morning, and back home (and if need be to the dealers)

11/21/2017
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician

Hi, My name is Jay

The check engine light coming on indicates there is a problem in the computer systems. There are hundreds of possible codes that are stored and would indicate a problem. If you go to most parts stores they will scan the car for free and give you the codes stored. Once you get the codes you can let me know and then I can let you know if it is okay to drive it. Since you do not notice a drive problem then it is most likely okay to drive the short distance you need and then should get checked as soon as possible.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Would it be reasonable to drive it 30 miles tomorrow morning before it's being seen?
No need to talk; I'm just interested about the question for the 30 mile driving before taking it in

It should be okay if you do not notice any drive symptoms other than normal. Make sure temperature stays normal also. You should be okay.

Jaybird61