Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

My clutch pedal is going almost down to the floor before it…

My clutch pedal is...

My clutch pedal is going almost down to the floor before it disengage is the clutch

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?

I think it's an issue with the master cylinder or the slave cylinder, but I'm not sure which. I'm thinking I could probably start by bleeding the system and seeing what that does

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

The clutch does not seem to be slipping once it's in gear and the clutch is released. However it's really hard to get it into any of the gears especially reverse. It's a 2004 Mazda 6 hatchback

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Mazda2 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Mazda 6

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes, I do almost all of the mechanical work myself. Especially little easy stuff like bleeding systems out or replacing Parts like the cylinder

Answered in 1 minute by:
11/19/2017
KALAMYKID
KALAMYKID, Shop Owner/ Tech

Are you loosing any brake fluid from the clutch system?

Hard to tell but it's possible. It's been getting progressively worse over the last two or three weeks

Look on the side of the transmission at the slave cylinder. Pull back the rubber boot and see if there is any fluid in the boot. If it is dry, ;look under the dash at the back of the master cylinder and see if there is any fluid leaking out the back of the master cylinder.

I'm actually driving right now so I can't look just this second. However, the clutch pedal does not come back out after I push it in or at least doesn't come back out more than a couple inches in order to bring it all the way up I have to pull it up with the top of my foot. Where the rod goes into the master cylinder seemed relatively clean but I can't quite remember if there was anything leaking out of it it didn't seem overly wet
The symptoms of the problem are that when I push the clutch in it doesn't disengage the clutch until the last little bit before the pedal hits the floor, then the pedal only comes up a slight little bit. I have to use my foot to bring it out the rest of the way but I don't think the master cylinder is actually decompressing the way it should. The gears are not slipping when I release the clutch and the vehicle is actually in gear so I don't think it's the clutch plate itself

I understand that, what I want you to see is if the hydraulic system has a leak in it. Bleeding the system will do no good if there is a leak.

If you have no leaks, then the master cylinder is bad. If you do have a leak, you have to replace either the clutch master cylinder or slave cylinder which ever is leaking.

yeah, that makes sense. I'll check the boot later this evening when I'm back from my trip. I just pulled over and had to look at the back of the master cylinder and I'll send you a picture of that if I can

That sounds good. A pic will help me see what you do and I can see if you have a problem.

I do not see any singes of brake fluid leaking. That does not mean the master cylinder is not bad though. See if the slave cylinder is leaking, if not, then replace the master cylinder.

Okay, thanks. I appreciate that advice. If the slave is leaking, then I'm guessing start by replacing the slave and see what the issue is from there? If I do replace the slave and/or the master cylinder, how do I get fluid back into the system? Is it just through the reservoir that's shared by the break and the clutch?

Yes it shares the fluid from the brake master cylinder. If you have to disconnect the line between the brake master to the clutch master, do not let all the fluid leak out of the brake master cylinder. Use a pair of vise gripes to pinch off the hose between the two. You do not have to pinch it tight, just hard enough to close off the hose. The gravity bleed the system first to get out as much air from the clutch system, pump the pedal up 15 times slowly after you close off the bleeder to push any air back through the master cylinder into the res. Then the clutch should work good.

okay, sounds good. I'll have a look tonight or tomorrow evening and see where I stand with the individual cylinders and any leakage. I anticipate I'll probably have to replace one if not both of the cylinders and then do a bleed. If I don't see any leaks I'll start with a bleed and see how that goes.

If you see no leaks, replace the master cylinder. The seal in the back of the master cylinder can suck air in and that is why the pedal is not full hard or returning to the top.

KALAMYKID
KALAMYKID, Shop Owner/ Tech
Perfect, thanks!

You are very welcome.